ZippyVR6

RAC scratched my bonnet!

Had cause to call the RAC last night, as a coolant hose let go on the M3.

The purpose of this post is a word of warning to people. I was pre occupied with lorries zooming past so didnt notice that when he attached the towing board to the boot he ran the power cable down the side, over the wing mirror and trapped it under the wiper arm.

The lead then went down the centre of the bonnet to his van.

When we got back, I noticed 6 scratches where the lead had been blowing about on the drive home.

To be fair, he was good about it, and agreed it must have been him, so signed on the form that it was his fault.

So come monday morning, I will need to get stuck into customer care and organise a respray.

Prety poor pics as it is raining and only have my phone pics so far but you get the idea.

if you can really feel the scratch with your fingernail its normally too deep to do anything with but going by the pictures it looks like they will machine polish out

Yeah it might polish with a pro doing it, But the top scratch is deep enough to feel a ridge in the paint, and I am not really prepared to settle for a machine polish. The bonnet was only re-sprayed in the last 18 months.

To be fair on the RAC guy he did admit liability for the damage, in situations where a recovery is required I'm inclined to ask for a demountable bed (mainly because mines loooow), but it also means undue stress from the car's weight isn't being transferred through the rear axle. (Spec lifts and trailer dollies are only meant to be used for a certain distance for a reason!)

But as above it does looks like it could be polished out so might be worth having a chat with a valeter, at least then they can give you a second reference to take to the RAC's care/customer relations team.

Update.

2 quotes, Both confirmed the scratches are deep enough to require a respray. RAC customer care were fantastic, taking less than 24 hours to agree the quote once I faxed them in. and agreed that they woudl send me the cheque directly so I can pay the bodyshop on completion rather than needing to wait for payment to be sent before they release the car. As such the Bodyshop will treat it as a cash job, and for only £100 more than the retail quote will do the front bumper too which has a few stonechips.

All in all. Im failry pleased with how it all turned out.

I'm surprised that a power cable was even able to scratch paint! Was it resprayed with 2-pack or the newer useless water based stuff 18 months ago?

Hmm. its a good point. To be honest I never asked what it was resprayed with, as I assumed tu pac was banned these days. Either way, I'm not surprised there was damage as the cable was rough to the touch and swung to and fro across the bonnet in sidewinds on a 30 mile tow home.