Rams

ABS Fault and upgrades

Hi all

My ABS has been playing up, it started off with the light flickering on then off, it initally came on when driving over a pothole.

I took it along today to my guy and we plugged it in and it said mechanical fault to the rear nearside. There wasn't enought time to check anything out but suspect a sensor or ABS ring?

My question is, what should I do whilst I am there? I know the rear wheel bearings were an advisory on the last MOT but this always seems a popular topic with MOT testers and the rear wheel bearings. Anyhow, I havent yet replaced the rear discs or pads since I owned the car, the fronts I did not that long ago and upgraded to 288mm and re did all the brake lines with braded hoses and had some rusty brake lines replaced.

So its basically a rear end refurb required but what route can I take? I have 35 mm spacers on the rear so can probably get away with larger discs? The Porche d90's are 8 jay on the rear. What would you suggest I do?

I will be starting the rebuild soon on the 2.8 engine I bought to make it Turbo ready so I may aswell have the rear brakes ready to cope with the bigger demand.

Any thoughts on this would be great

Rams

quick fix is a £28 sensor off ebay then i`d buy another rear beam and build it up off the car ready to swap over...after all your hard work you dont want to take the car off the road again for how ever long.. as far as upgrade`s i`d stick to mk4 rears as they seem perfect for most on here with bigger power..just use better pads and good fluid./

The rear beam does need powder coating, although the bushes seem fine but as it is, the ride is quite firm with the polly bishes so may end up going with the r32 rear beam bushes instead of polly......

The rear wheel bearings were an advisory and that was back in December, since then, its been dropped and has the wide spacers so more pressure is being forced on them so it could be that. I really could do with my own diagnostic tester. I just use my friends snap on jobbie and that said mechanical fault to the rear near side. Then they said they were all faulty but assume this is just the 1 thats knocking them all out or the snap on tester itself.

This weekend I will check for the play and see whats what........ With the MK4 rears, are you saying just change the callipers for mk4 with mk4 rear discs and pads? Or do I use corrado discs and pads? I really want to have the 280 size on the rears and was looking at the kits for sale but not sure whats best to go for and what size I can get away with with the wheel size or if indeed the 280 will fit?

i`m no expert on the mk4 rear brakes but think its just mk4 calipers and pads and normal discs..?