leon263

ABS sensor removal/ replacement

Hi guys. My 93 VR6 has been suffering from a constantly illuminated ABS warning light for a couple of weeks now. Vag Com suggests a problem with the front offside speed sensor. Can any-one give me a guide as to removal/ replacement of the sensor. I am assuming this is going to require some brute force as it will have been in there for 18 years. Finally I have priced one with TPS for £60. Is this par for the course or can any-one suggest a cheaper source. Many thanks for any suggestions

Remove the full bloody lot, absolute piece of crap the corrado ABS system. I have heard that quite often its just the connectors, try unplugging the sensor and wd40'ing the connectors.

yep, i just smashed my old ones with a hammer and chizel, filed and lubed up the hole, tap new sensor in, job done. you will have to drive the car a little before the light goes off, unless you can use VAG-COM to clear the codes... half hour job doing a sensor.

Yep /\! You will be extremely lucky if any of the ABS sensors on the Corrado come out in one peice.

Thankfully VW saw sense and redesigned them. They now have plastic housings instead of metal, so shouldn't corrode and sieze solidly into the hubs.

Swiftkid, have you removed your ABS? I've been toying with that idea myself.

just got one for the nearside front for the MOT, £9 with trade discount from Euro Car Parts, looks just the same as the VAG one really, famous last words...

I would love to Kev but I was under the impression that if the car was originally built with ABS it had to be kept? If not I think i'll be searching for parts to remove it, I absolutely hate it, for some reason when its working and i'm slowing down around 10mph it sends the pedal into spaz mode and almost locks up.

Edit: Critical_Mass... both my rear sensors are whining and moaning to vagcom, if they don't start behaving i'm going to get my pimp hand on the go with them and teach them a lesson.

A duff pedal position sensor usually causes that mate. There's a fix for it which involves taking it apart and resoldering a dry joint. D&G Autotech sell refurbed ones too (it's obsolete from VW).

As for removal, AFAIK, the MOT tester can only test things that are fitted to the car. So no ABS fitted = ABS not tested :D Unlike cat converters, I don't think ABS is actually a requirement by law mate, hence why some supercars still don't have ABS, TC etc etc, but are road legal.

as from 2014 or something, stability control (or electronic brake distribution - whatever you want to call it), as well as ABS is going to be required on all new european cars IIRC, but there's no backdated requirements as usual, which makes obvious sense.

I suppose if a car had obviously had ABS removed from the original vehicle and then you had a crash involving a fatality you could in theory be in trouble.

I've not had a problem with the corrado ABS system really as far as it's feel goes, the non ABS one is slightly better for pedal feel but I prefer the old Corrado ABS to the feel of the mk4 era cars.

I have a mate who totally removed the ABS from a G60 due to a faulty pump. Obviously there was a lot of re-plumbing of the brake lines involved. When he went to MOT he was failed due to the sensors, wiring etc still being in situ albeit redundant. When he removed all the original bits and pieces it passed with no problem.

You have to be careful with removing ABS stuff.For insurance reasons your modifying your vehicle so its different from standard. Im sure insurance companies will like the fact you removed it without telling them cause they wont have to pay out should you crash.

Anyway,i dont like driving my rado,especially in the rain without abs.Just locks up too easy.I busted my abs sensor week and half ago trying to remove it when i was going to fit new bearings on front.

As said ,you cant remove old ones(metal ones) without destroying them! so order some new ones before!!!

Just received a new sensor from UK Parts Direct to-day at £12.98 delivered. Removed the old one without too much difficulty, fitted the replacement and bingo ......... no more ABS light. Fingers crossed the the problem is solved and if so, £12.98 is a small price to pay.