carter711

Heater cable woes!!

Hi,

(Firstly I tried the search function but couldn't find anything recent and fitting to my problem)

Last week I had a genuine heater matrix fitted by my mechanic who has done a bit of work for me in the past. He got the job done but upon collecting the car I realised that the directional control dial was really stiff, and wouldn't engage the windscreen setting at all. I spoke to him about it and he said he'd take it back in to fix the issue.

A while later he phones to say that the cables were stiff and this was the cause of the problem so I got on the phone to TPS who said they had a set left so I ordered it and thought happy days!

Today I got a phone call from tps saying the cables haven't turned up and it looks like they are out of stock and the part is obsolete :(

Has anyone else had a similar issue to this, and what did you do? Is there anywhere that I can get the cables from, or is there a different solution I'm not aware of?

The car is a late VR6 without AC if that's any help!

It could be just a case of re-positioning one of the cables. There is one cable in there thats blue and has foam protection around it that needs to be positioned in a particular way otherwise it wont give you enough slack when you turn the directional control dials and the dial will be stiff.

I had exactly the same problem when I did my matrix and had to take it all off just to position the cable correctly so that the dials will operate as I didnt check beforehand.

Edited by VWVW

they also go stiff and difficult to move when the cogs inside the heater control break . This is what happend to mine . If you find that problem you will have to find a breaker to aquire one . Dont try to fit one off a polo or anything like that , they have reversed the snail like pattern on the cog [gits].

Thanks for the replies chaps! My mechanic has put it all back together with oil and apparently it is better than before but I'm hoping if I re locate the blue cable it will return to how it was!