Pete

Recaro fit help

Hi guys I've found a set of Recaro's local to me from an RS Turbo, and apart from not being electric or heated (which to be honest suits me) they look pretty much the same as the ones I see dotted all over this forum except they are around half the price. Can anyone confirm if they are the same model or not, and whether I'd need some kind of custom/fabricated mounts for them?

I'm thinking whatever I buy I'd need to retrim the rears to match so I might as well get something as cheap as I can and trim the whole interior in one go, with the 'correct' corrado OEM Recaro stitching patterns etc.

Here are a pic of the seats from a Fiesta RS and from a Corrado so you can see what I mean about them being very similar...

05_new_seats.jpg

Recaro%20Noir%20Corrado%20009.jpg

They look exactly the same shape. Maybe the upper side bolsters on yours are a touch bigger but that could be an illusion due to the colour difference. The seat bases are different though. Do yours have adjustable thigh supports? i.e. does the front part of the seat base slide forward to give more support? The Corrado one's don't (and the Corrado cloth ones aren't heated either).

I wouldn't worry about them not being electric or possibly being a slightly different model. They are close enough. Just get all the seats retrimmed in black and enjoy :)

This sub frame might help too...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/recaro-sparco-vw-volkswagen-CORRADO-GTI-seat-bases-/120703997705?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1a84d709

they're completely differnt chap, as mentioned earlier seat base's are different, the upper part of the seat is a lot narrower then the corrado recaro's and iirc do ont have the height adjustment that the corrado ones have.you would indeed need modified subframes for them to fit into a corrado. sorry if that sounds negative but those are the reasons why corrado recaro's are expensive.

ive seen plenty of corrado's and mk2 golfs with the ford recaros fitted so it can easily be done with the right know how.

hth

Definitely two sides to this story I think. They might not be millimetre perfect, but to be honest as you say portent, retrimmed in black leather they would fool me! I'm sure if the side bolsters were a touch bigger then a good trimmer would be able to reduce them slightly, and seal up the extending seat base squab for originality.

My big concerns are around mounting them, but that custom mount might be the answer. I'm not slave to the originals in terms of comfort also, so happy for the OEM+++ style lol. My wheels are testiment to the "looks standard-ish" nature.

I've seen these Fiesta seats as low as £100 per pair with sagged bolsters, but as I say I mainly want them as a basis for a new foam/trim seat.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

Also would there be any issues with mounting the seat belt clips etc? Would I take my existing ones over and mount them?!?!?

One of the things that I think makes the Corrado leather interior so nice is the three slats in the door cards. So getting a set of them, or retrimming, would again add to cost. It's starting to mount up and may be cheaper to wait for an original set. Leather seats and cloth door cards just doesn't look right to me. I assumed you'd be retrimming in cloth.

However, the advantage you have with retrimming is that they will be like new. You can even add an aftermarket heating kit to them if you want.

But, there is another approach. On the continent you could get a half leather interior. Maybe you could consider this? It wasn't an option (to my knowledge) in the UK but it's still close to OEM. So have you considered cloth/alcantara base and back and leather side bolsters? I've sat in both leather and cloth recaros. There's no doubt that a good set of leathers looks more special but having recently bought some cloth recaros I absolutely love the feel of them. So half cloth and half leather may be the best of both worlds and would solve the door card issue. It also negates the need for aftermarket heating elements or suffering a cold bottom in winter and sticky back in summer.

As for mounting them, you could find someone to weld your current subframes onto them. That might be a cheaper and better solution.

Best solution is height adjustable seat bases from a MK2 Scirocco, only way to go low enough and get OE style fitment

One of the things that I think makes the Corrado leather interior so nice is the three slats in the door cards. So getting a set of them, or retrimming, would again add to cost. It's starting to mount up and may be cheaper to wait for an original set. Leather seats and cloth door cards just doesn't look right to me. I assumed you'd be retrimming in cloth.

However, the advantage you have with retrimming is that they will be like new. You can even add an aftermarket heating kit to them if you want...

...As for mounting them, you could find someone to weld your current subframes onto them. That might be a cheaper and better solution.

If I do it I'll be getting the whole interior done including the door cards etc at somewhere like MJ's. I want to get the car into as near new condition as I can so even if I bought a leather set with cards etc, I'd still want a retrim. I think the welding of the subframes from my existing seats might be a great idea, os use the mounts as OSV mentioned. Either way the mounting is certainly do-able.

the ford recaros are far more surportive than the corrado ones, the side bolsters really hold you in place.

Right guys I need a bit of advice here. I've arranged to buy a pair of Fiesta Turbo seats for a frankly crazy £90 picking up on the weekend. But... The Fiesta seats don't seem to have seat belt clips in them like my standard Corrado seats have.

Anybody know how the belt clasp fits to the seat/base/runners etc and if I can swap or add them to the Fiesta seats???

Thanks, next questions are...

Where?

How much?

Do they bolt or weld on or something?

Sorry I'm a bit dumb on the mechanical stuf...