Sign in to follow this  
Pau1

Quarter Glass & respray

Hopefully someone can help me here. At the momment i'm striping my car at the body shop and theres mixed feelings on whats the best way to do the area surrounding the rear quarter glass. The painter wants to remove the glass completely but I know how hard it is to do and its a right b*tch. I remember someone on here b4 mentioning about a 3M product that you can use to put under the seals so you dont have to remove them.

Any advice much apreciated.

TIA

Paul

The bodyshop that is spraying my car at the minute haven't taken out the rear quarter glass they used little picks I think to raise the the rubber seals to be able to get paint underneath them. I went and had a look at it today as the main shell has been painted and the finish is faultless which I am very pleased about I cant wait to see what the finished car will look like :D A good bodyshop should be able to get a very good finish without having to take the glass out on the rear quarter as it is a very time consuming job as the glass is bonded in I believe!

Rear quarters ARE bonded, you're more likely to smash 'em than remove 'em.... :?

My bro works at a Ford dealer spraying cars and if I remember correctly he doesn't removed quarter panel glass that are bonded in but lifts the seal to get a good coverage.

Be careful though, when my rear quarter was done by 'Insurance Aprroved' monkeys they had clearly just (badly)masked up to the glass seal. After my bitching they ended up taking the quarter glass out and replacing the seal and doing it all over again.

the 3m tape is a good product,i used it on mine didnt get a drop of paint on the seals but it is expensive at£20 a roll but worth it,you can allso pull the seal back and stuff some thick gauge wire in and this holds the seal off pretty well thats how the old skool of painters do it(so i'm told anyway :) )

Thanks guys for all the usefull tips. So it looks like a combination of toothpicks or nice thick wire and quality 3m tape. I'm

definetly not going to remove the glass. I'm sure the painter will happy to know a few more secrets. Thanks :-P :mrgreen:

I asked the same question a few weeks ago after my car was hit but forgot to follow it up...

The shop that painted it did get the glasss taken out but they got a glass company to come in and cut it out then bond it back in again, I don't think it was that difficult for people with the right skills, smae as the windscreen i suppose!

No, the seal is part of the glass, and is ok if cut out at the right angle i'm told, just needs bonding back in - they've done a good job on mine and i'd recomend doing it properly if you intend on keeping the car... you don't want peeling lacquer 3 years down the line!

Just make sure whoever does it knows what there doing as its a £400 per side for the glass and seal as a unit.