Sign in to follow this  
Henny

Tracking devices

I'm looking into getting a tracker device installed into my Corrado seeing as I've spent a shed load on it and don't want it going walkies without me... ;)

The one that's winning in my opinion at the moment is the Maxon Trak M8 which also has some nice other features as well as the real time tracking element to it.... 8)

Anyone got any experience (good or bad) with any of these types of device?

You'll have to let me know about this aswell

I been looking at the RAC Trackstar, U pay a lump sum to start then a monthly, annual supscription Think i can get a really good fitting price from my mates new buisness. and the installler has done the visb approved training. just gotta check there are ortharised as there doing it for themselves no and not thru there old jobs

I got bored about 1:30 so I ordered my TrakM8... :roll: :lol: It'll be here before noon tomorrow... 8) ( It comes with an Orange SIM in it in case anyone was wondering...)

I phoned up the retailers to ask what the difference between the Q rated one, and the non Q rated one was, and the guy couldn't tell me except the Q rated one is £50 more... :?

I went for the none Q rated one in the end 'cos I had a word with my insurance company first and they said it'd make no difference on my existing policy as I already have a recent Cat1 alarm, so it's more for my peace of mind anyway... I'm also gonna wire it into my alarm so it can text me if the alarm goes off, and I can text the car if someone ever hijacks it and turn the engine off... 8) :twisted: :lol:

The best bit about it is that the only subscription you need is for the phone part which is a Pay as you go jobbie.... pay for the unit and the installation and then that's it except for the calls 8)

yeah, I'd been watching that auction, but decided I wanted to buy a new one... 8)

how much are they new, if you dont mind me asking?

Click the link! ;)

Q rated Price: £499.95 incl. VAT

Normal Price: £449.95 incl. VAT

I have heard a rumour on another forum police only bother trying to recover tracker equipped cars if they are under three years old, or prioritise those at least. Hope it's only a rumour, does anyone know for certain?

so you have to text the car and then it replies telling you where it is??

what if its in a garage? the gps signal wont work if its anything like my satnav.

I have heard a rumour on another forum police only bother trying to recover tracker equipped cars if they are under three years old, or prioritise those at least. Hope it's only a rumour, does anyone know for certain?

I've not heard that, but I'm pretty damned sure that when you tell them the location and speed of the vehicle and that it'll be stopped dead at the next set of lights they choose, they may listen up a little more than usual! ;) Sending it a coded text to kill the engine sounds like a fantastic anti-hijack facility to me! ;)

so you have to text the car and then it replies telling you where it is??

what if its in a garage? the gps signal wont work if its anything like my satnav.

If it's stolen, (you've armed the system and it is move, or the alarm goes off) it'll text you to let you know! you don't have to tell anyone it's been stolen like with a Trakker, the car tells you! :)

It remembers it's last positive location and relays that if it can't get a positive GPS location there and then and the car can't be far from that last positive GPS'd location.. 8) It's got a 25 second warm start up time too, so it only needs 30 seconds to get it's new location :D

I've not heard that, but I'm pretty damned sure that when you tell them the location and speed of the vehicle and that it'll be stopped dead at the next set of lights they choose, they may listen up a little more than usual! ;) Sending it a coded text to kill the engine sounds like a fantastic anti-hijack facility to me! ;)

Fair point mate :)

so do the police actually rocognise the system and will they track it?

Police don't need to track it... it texts YOU the location, not the police, you just phone 'em up and give them the location of the car, speed, direction etc etc etc and then tell them where it'll stop running! ;) They should then do the rest! :D It's an easy increase in "crooks caught" figures for them... All nice and safe with no high speed chase needed or danger of ramming their cars etc 'cos the engine will be dead! 8)

Police don't need to track it... it texts YOU the location, not the police, you just phone 'em up and give them the location of the car, speed, direction etc etc etc and then tell them where it'll stop running! They should then do the rest! It's an easy increase in "crooks caught" figures for them... All nice and safe with no high speed chase needed or danger of ramming their cars etc 'cos the engine will be dead!

..Or you could then fwd the Txt to Stevemac and he could pop round to that address and have a 'little chat' with the pikeys.... :lol: :lol:

yeah, that'd scare the hell outta them when they opened the door! ;) :lol: