robrado974

Rear brake problems

I recently had the mk4 calipers put in my car . The handbrake still didn't feel brilliant so I took it down to a friend who works at kwikfit where they were fitted . They have tried everything but the near side wheel can still be turned by hand with the foot brake on .as far as they are concerned it's down to a faulty caliper . Anyone else had similar problems ? . The calipers came from vedubmachine .

Thanks Rob

Is the brake pressure regulator on the rear axle working properly? Are they getting a full flow of fluid when bleeding the caliper?

Hi , Paddy , yeah they looked at the regulator and checked it , it was found to be working fine .

Rob

I had something similar and it was due to brake pads being "glazed". Basically had the hand brake adjusted a little too tight so the pad was constantly being pushed against the disk albeit very lightly.

Literally just took the pad out, gave it a rub on a rough surface (pavement) refitted and it was fine.

I had something similar and it was due to brake pads being "glazed". Basically had the hand brake adjusted a little too tight so the pad was constantly being pushed against the disk albeit very lightly.

Literally just took the pad out, gave it a rub on a rough surface (pavement) refitted and it was fine.

Just asked him about the pads and he said they are fine

Rob

Are the cables ok? Is one for each side and they don't have anything to do with the bias valve.

Think there is adjustment under the hand brake trim.

I renewed both of mine when doing the mk4 brakes and not had any problems for years now. Think I need new pad soon though

I would also be tempted to put the old callipers back on. But without the hydraulic hose connected and see if the handbrake works

Strip and inspect, make sure the pads are free moving in the carriers on both sides. Operate the caliper levers by hand, make sure they return to there stops

Refit and adjust the cables so they start to clamp the disks evenly after 2 clicks on the handbrake lever.

I'd replace the pads with new ones if you continue to have problems after the above.

Well if the handbrake isn't locking the wheel, sound like a faulty calliper.

Is this on both sides?

No mate only near side

Rob

As above - has to be faulty I think as the handbrake should mechanically lock it...

On a lift with a torch you should see the piston moving the pads and the handbrake lever visably move.

Just read this,I've had a similar problem,but mine locked on !

The lever arm on top of the caliper that pushes the handbrake on is prone to seizing.

If yours isn't moving freely enough,the handbrake may not be going fully on.

Get a 13mm spanner,plenty of WD40 and make sure the lever moves freely.With the car jacked up,spin the wheel,and you should be able to apply the handbrake via the 13mm spanner.

If you want pics,il take some tomorrow in daylight,

(Mine are Mk4's bought from Veedubmachine)about 3-4 years ago

Looking up under the rear bumper (o/s)you can see the hand brake cable/lever,you can see the 13mm bolt that pivots the brake mechanism,put a spanner on it and turn it

epate7ap.jpg

if you can remove the caliper, wind it back with the rewind tool, then put a block of wood in between the piston face and the head of the caliper (so you've got a 10mm gap) and push the brake pedal. The piston should move and hit the wooden block comfortably. If not, its seized and you'll need to strip and rebuild it.

Don't do this without the wooden block or the piston will fly out!