j_s14a

Jays Blackberry VR6 project & 16v Recaro donor car...

After having various wanted ads up on the forum for over a year, I finally got my Blackberry Corrado today. :)

She's a 1994 manual VR6 with 100k miles, with black cloth. Aftermarket parts include a Jetex exhaust, 6 branch manifold (sounds fantastic) and Jom coilovers. She looks largely standard, which is exactly what I wanted.

Plans include leather (good used or a retrim), custom valved Bilstein shocks with custom springs, MK3 16v brakes, and an LSD of some form (OS Giken if available and budget stretches, otherwise most likely a Wavetrac). Also a very small and subtle sound system.

Anyways, here she is, on the journey home from Edinburgh to York...

DSC_0176_zps49dff360.jpg

DSC_0171_zpsa6ef18bd.jpg

DSC_0170_zps509efb8d.jpg

DSC_0165_zpsc625a5a9.jpg

There are some small jobs that need doing around the bodywork, which I will look to do in the next few weeks.

Edited by j_s14a

Looks a very nice example! To widen your search, all mk3 Golf Gti's (8v & 16v) and VR6s from 95 onwards had 288mm fronts. Perfect choice of mods for that little bit extra you have planned too. :thumbleft:

Looks lovely, worth waiting for.

I do like a standard looking VR and perfect ride height for the speedlines. Wouldn't mind some measurements from the floor to top of wheel arches if you get time please?

Wouldn't mind some measurements from the floor to top of wheel arches if you get time please?

no worries, I'll try and remember to do it tomorrow :)

You sound like a man who knows what a quality component is when you see it! This can only be a good thing! Lovely car, my favourite colour of all time on a Corrado.

Today, I've mostly been driving her. :D I did find time to fit a new stereo though, and Alpine CDE136BT, which I chose because it looks subtle, the illumination matches the factory dash, and has loads of up to date features, such as Parrot Bluetooth, USB, 3 pre outs, DAB etc.

DSC_0004_zpsbf6bf154.jpg

(I'll change that picture for a better one as my phone was playing up, but you get the idea)

Just changing the headunit has vastly improved the sound quality over the previous Sony item.

Oh, and I grabbed a nice picture from an unusual angle while visiting my parents...

DSC_0003_zps420b4b30.jpg

Edited by j_s14a

Good for you mate you were very patient while waiting for the right one to pop up :salute: I just wish I had been so focused Lovely looking car :thumbleft:

Very clean looking Corrado sir, what's the ride like with the JOM's on the standard Speedlines?

The drop doesn't look too much dramatic either.Cheers

To be entirely honest, I don't really rate the Joms myself.

I had a go at some of my favourite back roads yesterday, and the car didn't inspire much confidence when pushing on. The ride seems very crashy, and the steering feels a little vague. It's fine for everyday driving, but I know she can be so much better.

Going to get the bodywork sorted over the next few weeks, then I'll start on the suspension.

Looks beautiful, great pictures of the trip home to, that second pic side on with the sea in the background works well.

You pipped me to this by a couple of hours! Tbf, I would have wanted to view it first. One thing I noticed, is there any significant damage to the drivers bolster? No photos of that side I saw.

I'm not sure about the drivers seat, I decided to risk it as I knew it would get snapped up very quickly. Even if it does need a repair, it was still too good an opportunity to pass on. :)

The other car has just arrived, and I'm pretty pleased. Seems to run well, and it looks like the paint is good order, at least once all the layers of dirt are removed. :D

DSC_0301_zpsbe56341e.jpg

DSC_0303_zps76f3ba90.jpg

Jammy sod. :p:grin:

he who dares, and all that! :D

To be honest, I feel quite bad for altering it, it is probably the highest spec factory 16v around (Leather Recaros and aircon)

At least it will live on though.

Edited by j_s14a

Spent a bit of time cleaning the 16v Recaro donor car today, and it's come up really well.

DSC_0749_zps750c7ae4.jpg

DSC_0731_zps99dd5ccb.jpg

DSC_0735_zps69b91272.jpg

The bodywork is probably in better condition than my VR6! :D

She seems to run well, but produces a fair bit of white smoke when run for a while. It smells like fuel...

DSC_0744_zps7044fced.jpg

Of course, the first thing I checked was the oil cap, which had a little white residue:

DSC_0745_zpsd5e8dc1b.jpg

Pretty certain that is just residue from being stood for a long time, as the white gunk that collects when the head gasket goes tends to be lump and much thicker.

Any ideas?

no issues with that cap bud! Dangerous game though buying a second one for seats.. before you know it you'll be tidying it up to sell on, then using it as a daily!

Dangerous game though buying a second one for seats.. before you know it you'll be tidying it up to sell on, then using it as a daily!

I'm sure I wouldn't be the first :D But I haven't got room to keep two cars for long, and I currently own 3! :D

So, something good / bad happened today.

I went to the bodyshop to inquire about touching up the various marks around the bodywork etc. It was going to come to £800, as I would get a better finish by respraying the whole side. Anyways, I asked him about a full respray, which would come to £1500.

She's going in for a full respray on the 9th of June. :D

After a wheel refurb, she'll look brand new. So far I've spent £2650 on the car, £1000 on the donor car for the Recaros and aircon. So add the price of the respray in, £5150 for a blackberry VR6 with leather Recaros aircon, and brand new paint seems like a pretty good deal, and I'll get quite a bit back by selling the donor car. :)

Not a bad deal at all mate!

£1500 seems a little too cheap for the respray though? is that full glass out? normally for a decent glass out job you are looking at £2000-2500

Not a bad deal at all mate!

£1500 seems a little too cheap for the respray though? is that full glass out? normally for a decent glass out job you are looking at £2000-2500

No, it isn't glass out. I suggested that, but he insisted that he would be able to get a very good finish without, as the seals are all liftable. The chap does have a very good reputation in this area, and I'm very cautious when it comes to bodyshops. That price is on the proviso that I remove a lot of the trim parts myself.