Harrier

Decisions !!

Had quite a nice morning at my local Bmw dealer with my lad,

My old e46 touring was booked in for the passenger airbag recall and after the complimentary coffee and biscuits we had a look around the showroom and then into the seperate 'M' section 8)

DSC_0466_zpslkdghsag.jpgDSC_0465_zpsn66ke2rq.jpg

DSC_0464_zpsknmq0zyn.jpg

DSC_0463_zpsdqau7kzs.jpg

Both absolutely stunning cars, the salesman was very accomodating and let us have sit in the cars.

A nice morning and free !

Which one ? at nearly 60k for the M4 and over 100k for the i8 its not a decision I need to think about unfortunately.

My brother in law is thinking of chopping in his RS5 and getting the M4 . As you say they ain't cheap !

I think the i8 is an interesting concept but too compromised still. If I was going to buy anything electric at this point, it's be a Tesla P85D. Would wipe the floor with the i8 performance wise too.

I do have a very soft spot for the i8 and every time I see an M4, I can't help but think of it being owned by a middle manager who is having a bit of a mid life crisis. Don't know why as the previous M cars never made me think that. Might be the baby sick yellow? The blue that BMW are selling their current fleet in makes any of their cars look great though!

Don't forget that BMW pulled the plug from their 3-year warranty (in Germany, ADAC mag Feb 2015), which begs the question "Do they not trust their own tech any more?".

Don't go for the M4 with flappy paddle / autobox, colleague at work has a very long story to tell about that, ending up going through 7 M4s from his dealer (name available on request off-forum) in less than 11 months! I don't call that bad luck any more ...

Tempest

Don't forget that BMW pulled the plug from their 3-year warranty (in Germany, ADAC mag Feb 2015), which begs the question "Do they not trust their own tech any more?".

Don't go for the M4 with flappy paddle / autobox, colleague at work has a very long story to tell about that, ending up going through 7 M4s from his dealer (name available on request off-forum) in less than 11 months! I don't call that bad luck any more ...

Tempest

The manual gearbox isn't an option any more on the F80/82, they are all 'DCT' or whatever it's called now, if I were in a position to buy one I would really value a 3 yr warranty. What would you do after that !! :eek:

Sean_Jaymo, I agree about the colour though it looks better in the metal, I think the blue you mention is Yas Marina Blue, really nice colour imo

What struck me most about both cars was the interior quality & feel, stunning :)

Edited by Harrier

I think I would struggle having a sports car that didn't sound the part so with its 4 pot engine the i8 would be out. I quite like the f10 m5 or m6 gran coupe

Quality of BMWs is terrible these days. I had a 3 year old 330i m sport a couple of years back. Engine started ticking loudly, dealer didn't want to know. In the end put a video on Twitter and looped in bmw customer service who asked me to take it back to the dealer. Master tech diagnosed cylinder head problem and £3000 engine rebuild......luckily under warrantee but I moved it on the month after. Also in that same year, the PAS pipe burst and left me stuck in the middle of a right hand turn into on coming traffic.

Absolutely beautiful car to look at but less reliable than a bloody Ferrari