robrado974

Under side refurb checklist please .

Can i ask you chaps that have done this or have knowledge of this job to have a look through and see if i have missed anything please .

Refurbed parts is as follows ,

Rear of the car .

Rear beam , blasted and powder coated . new bushes .

Painted stub axles [or ive seen new ones online ]. Ive had the flanges made too .

New pads , bearings , disc covers .

The dics themselves are fine .

Calipers are MK4 conversion .

I will be painting the tank straps and cleaning the brake lines and fuel lines .

I have already sorted the waxoil for the body.

The suspension is fine ,if a little harsh , even on soft setting .

The fuel filter housing will be replaced with the plastic part .

Front end .

New wishbones

Ball joints

Wishbone lock plates

Trackrod ends

Boots

Bearings

Hubs

New disc covers .

Suspension [hub] mounts have been stripped and painted .

The subframe is in really great condition and just needs a good clean [Mountings ?]

Radiator support has been stripped and painted . [rubber mountings ??]

The front discs are fine .

New pads .

New drive shafts

I just need the engine and gearbox mounts [ive already put the question up in another thread ] .

I have a huge list of receipts for the car from previous owners but i dont think much of the underside has been done . Obviously apart from these parts are in need of replacement , my intention is to cure the rattles in the interior of the car . But there is no point trying to cure this until ive done the above . At present if you hit a small pot hole or drive on a ruff road it bangs and crashes through the car and sounds awful.So hopefully after completing this task i will have a smoother ride . As i have said above about the shocks , she is sat on Konis at the moment , these are on the softest setting , but still seems harsh . I dont have the dough at present to replace them with anything else .

Thank you for looking ,as always your comments and advice are always welcome .

Kind regards .

Rob

Edited by robrado974

I'd get a rear bias valve too Rob. Easy to replace with the beam off, and its probably not too good if its the original. I got an ATE one (OE) from ebay for about £65 for the aqua before I sold it mate.

I've just done the rear of my VR too. The rear valve is definitely a good item to replace more. I also took the opportunity to replace all the rusty steel brake lines for some nice cope ones. Replace the rear abs sensor at this point as its a pig to get out and will only involve you removing everything you have put on. Handbrake cables are an easy swap and make sure you have the wire clip that holds it off the axle at the bush end. my favourite of the mk4 calipers is fitting a handbrake return spring to it. It makes it feel like a modern vehicle. Goodluck mate.

Thanks for the replies . I did see the tank straps on ebay , the stainless set . The Bias valve I had forgotten about , good shout on that one . I don't want to get it on the ramp and then think , ah I didn't purchase this or that part .

Thanks again .

Rob

The white plastic clips for securing the brake pipes to the rear beam will break ! the bolts that secure the rear bias valve will likely be seized too.Available from Vw :)