sankysvr6

Spoiler Help

So my active rear spoiler has stopped working.

It works on the button for both up and down. But it's not going up on its own anymore.

If I raise the spoiler using the button, and drive off. It comes down by itself, I have also noticed that when I've raised the spoiler at the traffic lights and not moved. It's come down by itself.

Any pointers please, I've not done anything apart from drive it to work today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So a bit more testing, and the spoiler sometimes comes out on its own, has a look around and goes back in.

So it's a bit intermittent, but not sure where to start looking.

I think there is a speed switch somewhere mate. Have you tried googling it? Sorry I can't be of more help sanky.

There is a speed sender wiring point behind the fuse box. This feeds the clocks, spoiler and radio volume control. I think it's a blue white wire. It takes its signal from a sender in the gearbox.

I think there is a speed switch somewhere mate. Have you tried googling it? Sorry I can't be of more help sanky.

Yeah tried google, but not bringing much up. Just people with faults, where the spoiler never worked or they did some other work and it stoped working.

There is a speed sender wiring point behind the fuse box. This feeds the clocks, spoiler and radio volume control. I think it's a blue white wire. It takes its signal from a sender in the gearbox.

I'll have look for this ponit, i thinks its called T43 on wiring diagram.

I've bench tested the spolier module, and its seems to be functioning correctly. Only thing i cant simulate id the VSS signal, as i don't know what frequency and amplitude it will be at above 45mph.

Okay Ive checked the frequency on the plug going to the spoiler module, and I get a frequency as I increase my speed. So I'm thinking the connections are okay.

So either my module has stopped working, or something else.

I have also noticed I can't seem to bring my hidden MFA functions for MFA 1. Works okay for MFA 2, could this be related?

Has anyone localish got a spare module they could lend me, or could they possibly try my module for me?

Edited by sankysvr6

Actually come to think of it, don't think the MFA hidden menu has anything to do with the spoiler not working. As I can access the hidden menu for MFA 1, it's just when I start the car it goes back the normal options.

Also if all the signals look correct going to the module. It must be the module that is faulty.

So I checked the circuit of my spoiler module at work, to check it was working correctly. All seemed to look fine with it, but I also got a spare module just Incase. Tried the new module today, and it's still the same.

Spoiler only going up and down on the switch.

So I traced the wire from the the module to the gauge cluster, and I have continuity from Pin 8 module to Pin 7 of the cluster.

So I'm thinking something must be up with cluster.

In this post it talks about a blown transistor, but it's not showing me where it is.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?14458-Possible-Spoiler-FIX-Update-page-3/page3

Anyone know where it is?

5226d31301293c915952868b4c1244ba.jpg

Jog anyone's memory.

I've tried some VR clocks and they work fine for the spoiler, just that coolant level light is constantly flashing with it fitted.

Hi Sanky,

The transistor (which I have a few of) is as pointed out below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84346[/ATTACH]

From memory the VR clocks use a diode not a transistor.

Just read the rest of your posts and if I wasn't in Cyprus, could have helped with the working spoiler modules as I have 2 spares (both a 45 mph and 55 mph unit)

Edited by MZpog

Thanks Stuart,

Are any of your transistors going spare? and do you know what markings it has on it.

You can have one FOC if you want to see if this is your problem or something else in the clocks.

I think the transistor number was found on the thread you linked up.

Thanks Stuart, but don't think that component is my fault.

As I've checked that component on my cluster, and its diode. That meters out okay.

Tracing pin7 from the cluster and I've found this capacitor that looks blown.

6bbca9ce07e619c5ec1325ad69b058b3.jpg

So I've replaced that.

Reading through post I linked earlier for the 100th time,.

I have noticed that I have 12v on pin8 on the connector of the spoiler module. It's not there when I put the VR cluster in.

Anyone know for sure if I should have 12v there?

Well I can officially say that there should be no voltage on pin8 of the spoiler module, just Incase if anyone is interested.

And my spoiler is working again, like normal.

The 12v on pin8 of the module was caused by the blown capacitor, which in turn left some residue behind. Underneath the digital display for the millage, which must have caused it to short to 12v somewhere.

Now I need to work out why the capacitor blew in the first place, and if it plans on doing it again.

Great repair, well done . Sounds a right pig of a job to do and hopefully your repair and info may benefit someone else one day

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well I can officially say that there should be no voltage on pin8 of the spoiler module, just Incase if anyone is interested.

And my spoiler is working again, like normal.

The 12v on pin8 of the module was caused by the blown capacitor, which in turn left some residue behind. Underneath the digital display for the millage, which must have caused it to short to 12v somewhere.

Now I need to work out why the capacitor blew in the first place, and if it plans on doing it again.

Point out the capacitor and list the part number (if visible) for future info.

I'm going to do a final write up to summarise my findings, which we hopefully help someone else one day.

The capacitor is the electrolytic one circled below

8185b45ddbaa22f1be556d4759aa462b.jpg

It's a 47uf 16v, I picked mine up from Maplins. Part number AU01B