Jump to content
Keyo

What 80's - 90s cars for sale have caught your eye recently.

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Geri this car seems to of offended you ha. 

Steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That car has been making appearances on Facebook groups over the past few months. Shit ad, you'd think the guy would have found out and known a bit more about it if he's imported it. I know I would buying such a heavily modified car. Not my cup of tea, but a lot of work looks to have gone into it. Just wonder what the standard of that work is, though it looks reasonable from afar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, seanl82 said:

That car has been making appearances on Facebook groups over the past few months. Shit ad, you'd think the guy would have found out and known a bit more about it if he's imported it. I know I would buying such a heavily modified car. Not my cup of tea, but a lot of work looks to have gone into it. Just wonder what the standard of that work is, though it looks reasonable from afar.

I would dread to think which owner must of spent some serious money building that. I mean 30 k or something daft who knows maybe more. I imagine one day we will see the interior in another car . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car

Thats a shame mate you must of been seriously considering it. That spoiler reminds me of the space ship x bomber from the 80 s Sci-Fi starfleet.  

 

st.jpg

X-bomber.png

Edited by Keyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t imagine it being good over speed bumps or pot holes either. Doesn’t look like there’s much room for the wheels to move in those arches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2021 at 7:26 PM, 1xshaunx1 said:

Can’t imagine it being good over speed bumps or pot holes either. Doesn’t look like there’s much room for the wheels to move in those arches. 

I don't think it's meant to - from what I can see, motive power comes from the flux capacitor in the boot - you just go back in time to before the speed bump or pothole was there.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Keyo said:

Every few months i see one of these they go up 2 or 3k - they really are catching up with the e30 m3.  Some way to go yet though. 

Great looking motor mind you with the recaro 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203800635030

I genuinely don't see the appeal of these. Aside from the fact they're "rare", they are absolutely Fugly, and performance from the G60 in standard guise isn't exactly seat of pants thrilling, especially when bolting a heavy Synchro system to it. Definitely wouldn't be considering spending almost 40k of my hard earned on it anyway.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2021 at 7:10 PM, Keyo said:

Thats a shame mate you must of been seriously considering it. That spoiler reminds me of the space ship x bomber from the 80 s Sci-Fi starfleet.  

 

st.jpg

X-bomber.png

one of my favourite kids programes!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, seanl82 said:

I genuinely don't see the appeal of these. Aside from the fact they're "rare", they are absolutely Fugly, and performance from the G60 in standard guise isn't exactly seat of pants thrilling, especially when bolting a heavy Synchro system to it. Definitely wouldn't be considering spending almost 40k of my hard earned on it anyway.....

Sure Im pretty certain a stock 16v would most likely whip its ass  but i do love a car with box arches . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Keyo said:

Sure Im pretty certain a stock 16v would most likely whip its ass  but i do love a car with box arches . 

A sorted 16v would hammer it but the 4 wheel drive is unique especially when throwing it in to corners 

i was told these cars were hand assembled as most were to be destined for motorsport until the rules changed as the car was launched making it an absolute failure for VW and that does not happen very often for a manufacturer to be caught out.

I still cant believe i traded one for 4k in 2000 with a spec identical to that car 

Yes Keyo i to love boxed arches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love them and wouldn't say No to one. If they had got round to building one with the steering wheel on the correct side 😂. Your right, it's no power beast, but the arches..... ooo get me a reiger kit for my Corrado 

But 40k 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ger040 said:

A sorted 16v would hammer it but the 4 wheel drive is unique especially when throwing it in to corners 

i was told these cars were hand assembled as most were to be destined for motorsport until the rules changed as the car was launched making it an absolute failure for VW and that does not happen very often for a manufacturer to be caught out.

I still cant believe i traded one for 4k in 2000 with a spec identical to that car 

Yes Keyo i to love boxed arches.

I would love one tbh - I would do some work to get it up to 220 bhp - I was thinking of getting one when they were around 15k but too much now- its the parts costs some of them are x4 the cost of the rado - most likely the most expensive parts in the classic vag range which is a massive negative for ownership experience - I think the 190 e cosworth is a good as in rhd and merc have a good classics team. 

If I was going to do another project I would source an early mk2 16v and do a body kit car bbs or hella kit- be a lot cheaper . 

Edited by Keyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cressa said:

I love them and wouldn't say No to one. If they had got round to building one with the steering wheel on the correct side 😂. Your right, it's no power beast, but the arches..... ooo get me a reiger kit for my Corrado 

But 40k 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Yep 40 k - brand new club sport if you look at it that way  from the dealers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in 2001 I wanted to replace my car. So I nailed it down to a White 16v Corrado and a neighbours Blue Rallye.

Both were the same price at £5k and both had similar mileage and history. 

I drove the Rallye first, and found it underpowered and would wallow in every corner. Added to the fact that I nearly broke my knuckles on my left hand three times, reaching for the gearstick, I just wasn’t sold on it.

Which was kind of upsetting as I’d sort of sold myself on it (having seen it on said neighbours drive for years).

So having never driven a Corrado, I tootled off to south Manchester and test drive one.

It was like night and day. The Corrado had a much more comfortable driving position (I’ve always felt like I’m sitting at a desk in Golf), had electric windows,  felt quicker and handled a damn sight better. It also didn’t collect the comments about it being a MK2 with a body kit grafted on.

They were both standard cars, and yes modifications could have been made to improve either, but the Corrado won the day.

No regrets.

 

Edited by James.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Keyo said:

I would love one tbh - I would do some work to get it up to 220 bhp - I was thinking of getting one when they were around 15k but too much now- its the parts costs some of them are x4 the cost of the rado - most likely the most expensive parts in the classic vag range which is a massive negative for ownership experience - I think the 190 e cosworth is a good as in rhd and merc have a good classics team. 

If I was going to do another project I would source an early mk2 16v and do a body kit car bbs or hella kit- be a lot cheaper . 

Price up some Ur Quattro spares if you think Rallyes are expensive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Golfs do nothing for me, absolutely nothing. Didn’t aspire for you one then and certainly don’t know, it’s now a granny cruiser with trick bits. Just thought I’d let you know my opinion on the matter is all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Golfs do nothing for me, absolutely nothing. Didn’t aspire for you one then and certainly don’t know, it’s now a granny cruiser with trick bits. Just thought I’d let you know my opinion on the matter is all. 

😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Golfs do nothing for me, absolutely nothing. Didn’t aspire for you one then and certainly don’t know, it’s now a granny cruiser with trick bits. Just thought I’d let you know my opinion on the matter is all. 

Haha fair play we're all different. Appreciate your honesty. I think we should be more honest - here's one from me - a bit "hubnut" but I really like base spec or low spec cars. Of course I've bought the sporty versions but give me a Corrado 16v with cloth seats, A 1.3l Golf L wihtout rev counter, Vauxhall Carlton GL on it's shiny hubcaps, Corsa "Merit" with its silver steel wheels and I'm equally as impressed at seeing one today as I am a VR6 Corrado etc.

Infact I am more interested in that sort of stuff than unobtainium cars.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Golfs do nothing for me, absolutely nothing. Didn’t aspire for you one then and certainly don’t know, it’s now a granny cruiser with trick bits. Just thought I’d let you know my opinion on the matter is all. 

🤣🤣 well that cleared that up 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lancia intergrale have seen that sell up to a 100 k now - the USA market really drives these prices as we’re not available and they look at them with rose tint . I drove my mates back in the day and it was very lack luster. 
 

I would have no interest owning a classic Audi after following the s2 group and the way classic Audi shut all the uk owners off after brexit -  all the owners say it’s like Audi tradition don’t want you to own them -

Edited by Keyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fiesta XR2 what a shed. 
Another granny cruiser with trick bits, mostly plastic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Fiesta XR2 what a shed. 
Another granny cruiser with trick bits, mostly plastic. 

I'm like that with the vast majority of Ford's. RS Turbo, Focus RS, at the end of the day it's just an Escort or Focus in drag..... THE most bland and boring cars for the masses ever produced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So a lad that use to work for me trained up from apprentice sent me that photo the other day as he was working at the house - my ears pricked and I got the number and arranged a visit that same evening. 

It was true an 89 40200 on the clock one lady owner form new - been garaged all its life. 

It still had the Quantum oil badge in the bay - I asked what he had done in 32 years and just the brakes and service- I explained to him best get that timing belt done as its not just mileage but every six years as rubber deteriorates. You can see that from the gutter seals. 

It was totally original with green check - but too my horror I saw the sunroof - a webasto he had butchered into the car 3 months old from new that was not square and a horrid after market head liner and controls - also to my surprise the rear arch lips had rust - everything else was original nothing ever changed- he was on about 7 k but I have no interest in  the car now. Yes it was a factory slick top ouch !!!  Great to see a time warp car but the garaged has dried all the seals and it will need loads doing when you start driving it properly .   

 

6B70C286-7D53-4A0A-B868-0322DD3690F4.png

1FFEABE8-77ED-4373-8318-83D7DEDC6F0C.jpeg

24816598-3179-444C-8E1D-1C933AA6D9F6.jpeg

2EC86400-876E-4F36-B68F-831443FC63D9.jpeg

DB2D118A-127C-4311-AA80-743C94A0404F.jpeg

20564F3F-62D2-42E4-91EC-81F76712C87D.png

CEB97DD7-A4E7-4C1D-B7E4-025D11FA5DCF.jpeg

8ED0D2EC-2E07-4F0C-8A83-DCB80B300F15.png

F1DDCE82-89CB-49CD-AD8F-1C01FC6039F0.jpeg

Edited by Keyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That roof is hilarious,  great find.

The best thing anyone could do is put a new solid roof on.

7k..... then to make that a Gud un....

Well done in walking away instead of buying a money eating monster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...