Sign in to follow this  
g-dub

68mm pulley on a standard charger

Before installing such a small pulley, you'll better rebuild the charger, I'ts also imortant to look in wich state the charger is.

A 3.5 bar fpr is not necessary with a 68mm pulley and chip, but it's alway better then the original fpr.

i am having the 3.5fpr/red tops and it remapped v soon andthe charger done around june time but then having the toothed belt kit, but was just gonna get the chip n pulley to tyed me over as it being remapped, but didn't know if it was worth it as the charger is standard and in need of a rebuild as it leaking a little oil now.

ovalthemoon, If your charger is leaking oil - get it checked out immediately. If your charger becomes too worn, you'll have to get a new one. Badly worn chargers cannot be repaired !!

yep daz higlighted it last time i went to him he noticed black stuff coating my new samco hose, but its not a major amount but still needs doing asap, just waiting for my insurance cash to come to me and it'll be there,

i am having the 3.5fpr/red tops and it remapped v soon andthe charger done around june time but then having the toothed belt kit, but was just gonna get the chip n pulley to tyed me over as it being remapped, but didn't know if it was worth it as the charger is standard and in need of a rebuild as it leaking a little oil now.

There's absolutely no point in doing this in this order unless you have money you need to spend... :?

What you need to do is get all the bits together, fit them at once and THEN get a remap done. If you do it the way you say, as soon as you make any more changes to the engine spec, or pulley size, the money you spent on the remap will have been wasted as the chip's map will no longer be accurate for your engine... :roll:

Best plan of action is:

1) charger rebuild

2) SNS chip, pulley and red tops (you won't need the 3.5fpr anymore if you get a newer SNS chip ;) )

3) Toothed pulleys + remap.

i did want to have it all done at the same time but as the cars running so bad (40bhp down), idle's pants, glowing exhaust when floored (happend once and haven't taken it over 3k since) so the remap has been brought forward, but have the Fpr anyway and wanted to get the red tops done, so there done

big bang is on at the end of april so will be racing so it has to be running right, then have the charger/engine work done straight after

why don't you need a 3.5 with the new chip though??

the new SNS chips have been developed to run with the standard 3.0FPR.

If it's idling badly, making the exhaust glow etc, you don't need a re-map, you need it re-timing and probably need a new 100cm ECU to throttle vavuum pipe! :|

To all those lately arriving on this thread - some observations (probably way too late to be of help to g-dub though! :wink:)

Totally agree with all the posts above :) , plus I have recent experience:

Charger rebuilt 5 days ago at G-Werks (it had done 85k since previous rebuild but has been very well treated!)

Still have 250 miles of my 400 mile probationary 'charger bedding in' period left :(

68mm pulley and SNS/G-Werks chip fitted :D

Observations:

1 - Always look after your charger - if you stress it, get it maintained often (even every 30k miles if on a 65mm pulley with a heavy right foot :wink:)

2 - The SNS/G-Werks chip is stunning, the anti Digi-lag code makes even part-throttle response awesome

3 - 68mm pulley gives you 25% more boost in theory than the 78mm stock pulley (although it leeches a higher horsepower to spin that much faster) - this also means it develops the same amount of boost as the stock pulley at 25% lower revs :D

4 - With a newly refurbed and bedded-in charger, 68mm and chip, you could reasonably expect a 15% increase in power and torque - I will dyno mine soon and expect 185+ bhp (everything else is stock)

5 - It's really, really difficult not to go for a blast before the bedding in period is up :( You can feel the change that the pulley and chip have made and they just beg you to floor it. All. The. Time. :D :evil: :thumb right:

All in good time, flusted, all in good time :D

Once my wife has been thoroughly seduced by the speed and torque of the new tuning, I shall introduce the prospect of even more :wink: :lol: