Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Thirsty G60

Hi Guys,

I am wondering how may mpg are people getting with 42 quids worth of fuel in tank- Tank is full and fuel all the way up the nozzle?

Now i know i need the timing advancing due to a chip and 68mm pulley and also a previous owners bodged "fix" on the exhaust, just behind the cat, has developed a hole.

Ive filled it up friday night and ive done around 125-130 miles in it and not having a heavy foot too much. The needle on the fuel gauge (on a flat enough surface) is just above the quarter mark. Im kind of wondering how many miles ill get after ive done what needs doing? Before i had chip and pulley fitted and exhaust was ok, i was getting 41mpg while cruising at 50pmh.

Cheers Guys!

Well mine has a bit of a drinking habit and it can see roughly 200 to a tank.

Before i had the turbo fitted (and developed a lead foot!), with a chip+pully i could easily see 250.

Mine does about 280 miles on a 12 gallon tank of petrol if you run it until you're scared it's going to stop. I find that the first 50 miles of a tank cause the needle to drop proportionally more than you'd think and the final 50 miles or so seem to last longer than you'd think. I'd imagine it's something to do with the calibration or shape of the tank. 280 miles is if you drive very economically though. That's about 23mpg which sounds about right for a midly tuned G. Still, I've just had a cam and an SNS chip fitted so that might mean it'll drink a bit more.

I find that the first 50 miles of a tank cause the needle to drop proportionally more than you'd think and the final 50 miles or so seem to last longer than you'd think. I'd imagine it's something to do with the calibration or shape of the tank.

Mine does exactly the same, must be a corrado thing!

Had mine down to 10mpg, on a 35 mile hoss :) Dont think it did it any good tho :roll:

hmm well the days have gone by some more, havent filled up YET. still just over and 8th of a tank left excluding the reserve. ive done around 150 miles. So i could poss be getting the same figures as you guys.

It could also be due to the fact ive gone from a 1.1 pug 106 to a 1.8 g60 and a full tank in my lil pug would last 300 miles at least.

But, it is still over fueling so theres fuel to be saved there.

By the way, is over fuelling damaging?

Ive read a thread on here with someone saying the cat was glowing and making the gear lever heat up and a response to that was, dont drive it, its prob over fuelling way too much. Now i dont think my cat is glowing. But the gator of my gear lever seems to get warm, not hot, but warm. Any ideas

TA!!! :rainbowafro:

I was under the impression that lean engines run hotter? Overfuelling can damage the cat in more serious cases but usually I think that running a bit rich is more of an inconvenience than a major danger. (Engine experts cut in at any time..... :))

well this may be a stupid conparison but, ive got one of those Traxxas petrol Radio controlled trucks and running it lean gives it performance but runs hot due to less lubrication. Running it rich is ok, but it has less performance and more reliability. It also doesnt run as hot.

A 4 stroke will always have the lubrication but the mixture in a 4 stroke refers to the air/fuel mixture. I think that an engine running lean is hotter as their is proportionally more oxygen in the burn. I could, however, be speaking complete rubbish. Have a look here for loads of info on mixture, knock, detonation etc:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detonation ... ion_engine

I was under the impression that lean engines run hotter? Overfuelling can damage the cat in more serious cases but usually I think that running a bit rich is more of an inconvenience than a major danger. (Engine experts cut in at any time..... :))

I'm no engine expert, but I think that running lean can heat up or harm the engine because petrol vapour cools the chamber and reduces the chance of knock - some deliberately overfuel to avoid detonation.

Likewise, running rich can cause major problems in the cat - especially if it's nice and hot - as the unburnt fuel can burn inside the convertor and degrade it (or even outright melt it)! Both are extremes of poor fuelling, and you'd know about either pretty quickly :shock:

I've heard that some of the tuning chips have a tendency to overfuel rather than intelligently deal with the engine's requirements - no names mentioned :wink: Not a big deal, but a pain in the wallet :lol:

i managed to get from doncaster to ross on wye on 50quids worth of juice,not sure how many miles that was but i'd say over 300 there an back :?

On a 15 gallon tank of Super, I reckon on getting 450-480 miles if I'm doing my normal 12 mile commute, or the high 300s if I'm giving it a squirt now and again :wink:

better to run rich then lean! id u rean lean then you run risks of melting pistons and do serious damage to your engine. if its before a 1992 registerd vehicle, get a decat pipe, as this will free up a few more horses (not noticble really) but it will help your exhaust gases flow a hell of alot more easily.

i think its like u said mate, u hopd from a 11 106 which are quite a economical motor, i went from a 1400XS 205 to a GTi mk1 cabby, notice it rank abit more fuel because you have more grunt in the engine, i then went from the cabby to the G60 and i feal as if im in the same boat as u, i took mine to work and got it on the MOT gas analyser and its within the mot specs for its year, but like i say matey better to be safe then sorry, running a bit rich isn really to much of a problem. if your worryd get it down your local garage and ask them to just check the emissons as you feal its over fueling, this will only take 5min if that and they shudnt charge you for it. just give em a few quid for a beer or so ;)

simon