destructiv dave

destructiv dave's silver valver (update 11/07/11)

0c9f6d4d.jpg

c3c56dab.jpg

e7c0c4cd.jpg

Have had the car for coming up to a year now. There were quite a few bumps and scrapes when I got it, with both door handle areas affected by break-in attempts (hence the addition of A6 handles).

Have swapped out the dark grey flat (poverty) bench interior for a VR6 interior (Black with the Champagne glasses), with the addition of Audioscape door pods and Audioscape Sub enclosure for the boot.

Brakes have been upgraded to 280mm and it is running a Milltek exhaust and have widetracked the front using Passat wishbones and Driveshafts (pics above were taken before this).

Next job is to drop the engine and box, rebuild the engine, uprate the clutch along with any other components and turbocharge it (made that sound a lot easier than it will ever be).

Will be taking photo's of my conversion and hoping to get it done this month (if it ever warms up), and will try to post as the build goes on.

Edited by destructiv dave

Thanks.

Have managed to 'invest' quite a bit into those handles. When fitted the painter tried to blend the area in but the rest of the paint on the sides had a slightly goldy tinge to it (apparently from the use of cheap laquers in the past that would discolour over time) so ended up getting the sides sprayed and the bonnet and the bumpers and the roof (was some laquer flaking up the top of the A-pillar so get it blown over).

Bodywork is now mint, just have to concentrate on the rest of it.

710129f3.jpg

Picture taken at the Ring in Nov. Car coped pretty well, but need rear buches done now.

Those handles do look great really OE much better than the huge Corrado ones. I've just colour coded mine which definately helps but those A6 ones are the daddy. :)

That is tidy!

Did you fit the A6 handles yourself or get a bodyshop to do it? Pain in the ar5e?

One of my fav mods, also a very practical one!

Shaggsy, got Masters down in Littlehampton to weld in the handles and John Mitchell to do the mechanism (as Woody also did).

It was a lot of money but as both the doors had door prying damage and the paint had a slightly goldish tinge to it (apparently from cheap laquer used in blowing the doors over in the past), so needed a bit of paint on the sides anyway.

Bill, cheers mate. Can't wait to see the transformation in yours. Was eyeing up those RC's of yours when you had them up for sale a while back but managed to resist.

Bally, cheers. Haven't been to Ace in a while and is off the road whilst I turbocharge it, but hoping to have it back for end of March.

An update after a busy weekend work.

P1030065.JPG

Empty engine bay. Have stripped all the wiring out of the fusebox to engine bay, cut back wires to ECU and kept what I need before re-wrapping in Amalgamating tape from http://www.frost.co.uk/images/product_images/thumbnails/7966.jpg. Will be running this on megasquirt. Mapping will be done by my mate Tim who also mapped Peter Munns 2l 16vT.

P1030099.JPG

New bearings

P1030110.JPG

Dropping in the pistons. Piston rings were bought from S N Auto Spares E17 020 8527 1234 and fitted by Middlesex Re-Boring NW7 020 8959 2567 who also honed my bores.

P1030112.JPG

Spacer gasket to drop CR

P1030118.JPG

Back together

P1030120.JPG

Umm! Might have clearance issues on that wastegate. Wastegate thanks to AllAudi Bristol 0117 9494136.

P1030059.JPG

Modified S2 Inlet Manifold. Flange welded on by local enginerring firm to me.

P1030060.JPG

Modified S2 exhaust manifold. Won on ebay along with KKK24 turbo. 5th runner chopped off and plated over. Also performed by Brian from my local engineering firm N11.

Updating dead links

Here's what it will be sitting on.

P1030056.JPG

Was quoted £90 minimum to shot blast the subframe, wishbones, ARB and radiator support plus another £90 for powdercoat...so I got out the nitromors and stripped it down myself before taking it to my local powdercoaters who charged me £50 (ERA Rodman bros. Southgate N11 020 8361 8553)

Doing little things like these just makes you appreciate the work someone like Lee has put into his polishing it before chroming it. Just stripping it of paint is hassle enough.

P1030057.JPG

Seat Ibiza rack from an 02 car with Febi Track rods courtesy of http://www.vwspares.co.uk and Powerflex bush.

P1030058.JPG

Passat wishbones with Powerflex bushes.

Updating dead links

P1040106.JPG

Picture of me mincing.

P1030062.JPG

Radiator support all powdercoated.

P1030105.JPG

My mate Nick L's car (has a thread in the for sale section).

P1030131.JPG

You can just make out my intercooler in the background here. Will be using the radiator that came with it as it is significantly larger, but does mean I need to source some more pipework for it.

Updating dead links

Nice car 8)

Last time I read this thread I was going to ask if you lived in Southgate (or thereabouts) :lol:

Houses are a dead giveaway!

joebloggs,

I live in Bounds Green just by the old Middlesex University campus. Pictures of my car earlier in the thread were taken round the corner outside my mate Rob's house (lovely G60 Golf on Porsche winter 928 wheels).

Bill,

Look forward to seeing your car at some shows this year. Those RS's look mint.

Just need to push on with it as it has been off the road for far too long now.

Once I have put the wiring back in, I then need to fit the new clutch and pop the gearbox on, then drop it back in the car. I have a Rallye intercooler, so it's just a question of plumbing it all in, then sorting out an exhaust.

Really want it done by the end of May so I can take it over to the Ring sometime this summer.

If anyone finds a vernier gear set for the VR then let me know!

I know they exist as there was an engine at Stealth with them fitted but Vince didn't know from whenst they came!

Chris

wow very good work mate... would be very interested to see what power it does etc

Looking at blanking off the Carbon canister. Anyone have any views on the best way of doing it. Can I blank it off at the fuel tank end and remove the pipe from all the way back or do I need to vent it.

Cheers,

David

Right update time.

Took three days off work to crack on with the project.

Picked up a lightened flywheel from Race Power Motorsport (£80 exchange),

then raced back to N. London to fit it, then my new VR6 Sachs clutch, before refitting the gearbox, then wheeled it over to fit.

P1030138.JPG

Engine in place.

P1030139.JPG

No clearance issues thankfully with the wastegate. Turbo has about an inch of space to the bulkhead so will be using some heatshield on top of the VW heatshield.

P1030131.JPG

Trial fitted the Rallye Intercooler, rad and fan.

P1030132.JPG

Was expecting it to be tight on the towing eye, but it was all the way to the other side and was tight on one of the brackets for the slam panel. So I bent the one on the body down and the matching one on the panel up

P1030134.JPG

P1030137.JPG

Picture of the radiator support. Intercooler slots into the hole on the far right, with the radiator in the next hole along, and the intercooler slots into the only hole on the bottom part of the support on the drivers side.

Tasks left to do:

Finish off my loom to run the megasquirt

Downpipe and boost run needed (either fabricate or get someone to make)

S2 Fuel rail being modified (should be back soon)

Extra Heatshield on firewall

Oil feed for turbo

Water feed and return for turbo with electric pump

Updating dead links