Sign in to follow this  
Ginger60

G60 Rebuild

Hi Guys,

Im rebuilding my G60 and thought id show you my freshly painted rocker cover cos its SWEET and may give you ideas yourself!

Cheers

tidy mate,keep the pics comin as you do bits,i hopin to get another complete g60 engine and do all this myself(and a bit of help from my fellow forum friends :D )when i need some advice,or elbow grease hey g60griff?

Yeah thats exactly why I did it because it was discusting.

Problem now is the rest of the engine will look like flies in my soup

you havin some portin an polishin going on aswell?would be interested in the cost in this if ya don't mind,its gonna be a while before i can get some funds for another engine so you might have finished by the time i start :lol:

Yeah sound mate,

Im waiting on my head to come back from the engineering shop then i'll be getting that on.

Am renewing all the studs and gaskets, has you any advice with these engines?

LOL no im not, am trying to get the car going again as its been off the road a year :(

But i am probably gonna do the tuning like a chip, 68mm pulley and KnN to pep her up a tad!

Them BK299s look great on it what alloys you got? I has a scorpion boxer exhaust on it too...

The guys skimming the head, new hydraulic valve lifters and guides around £200 quid just for that :cyclops2:

Easy chaps,

Just thought I would show you whats been happening so far...

Ive just picked up the refurbed head from the engineering shop, its had a few exhaust guides redone, skimmed and all the hydraulic lifters replaced and cleaned up.

Looks the biz cost me near £300 including the gasket set. Must mention someone advised me to use a metal head gasket as the paper ones dont last.

Hoping to have the engine together at the weekend so let you know how it goes... :wink:

Ginger69, Quite correct about the metal head gasket - don't use a paper type one.

Did you get the cam cover powder coated ? Engine paint usually peels off quite quickly (even with the correct undercoat/primer), in my experience.

I got it polybead blasted then a mate at work who paints the aeroplanes used the special yellow aircraft primer and topcoats. :D

The stuffs very hot/hardwearing but as you say time will tell :nuts: expect it will just be a fond memory after a week lol

I know I said Id have it running by now... but Im still waiting for my mates workshop! :censored:

Next week Im promised! :drinking:

I originally painted my rocker cover using the correct Acid Etch Primer that is supposed to be used for Alloy, then used a high temp gloss enamel to paint it.

As soon as I put it on the head it chipped! Then I bolted it down and as soon as it started to tighten with VERY LITTLE pressure it all cracked and came off around the bolts and looked awful!

If you've still got it in bits I really would recommend you took it to a powder coaters, cost £30 to do mine and is Sooooooo much better!!!!

Blimey!

Sounds like the high temp gloss was a bit brittle/thick for the job?

I hope that wont happen for me, I work on the planes and the same paint doesnt chip or crack when bolts are turned...

But thankyou, I have taken your advice, so that will be the next thing I get done if it does. When the cars all road worthy im getting it reprayed anyway! :mrgreen:

i just got my rocker cover polished up so i dont have to worry about any paint cracking, just about greasy fingers everywhere :bad-words:

i just got my rocker cover polished up so i dont have to worry about any paint cracking, just about greasy fingers everywhere :bad-words:

Did you get it polished to bare metal or chromed up? :rocol: my mate did that with his celica engine, looked lovely for a few months, now it looks like the north sea...barnicles! :shocked!:

getting a matt black powdercoat finish on mine (see G-Lader's members gallery for an example). Should have it back lunchtime tomorrow.

Mmmm nice!

The guy used a halfwits spray can in that pic... paint must be in the windscreen by now.. lol :norty:

looks to me like zinc primer - dont knwo how he did it - but it looks good and hope mine looks similar

i had mine polished back to bare metal, cant have any problems with paint flaking off like that!!