Sign in to follow this  
Pau1

Here's a wierd problem...:?:

My car has developed a strange problem...

It is basicly cutting all power when my steering wheel is turned to the right! :?: She is fine driving in straight and when turning to the left but as soon as i turn the wheel to the right past center i lose all power. It's doing my head in! Dont know if its PAS related.... Any help much apreciated. Please help me. :?

losing power as in all electrical (ignition system)? or mechanical? (loss of engine power?)

suspect its the latter,id have someone turn the wheel as you watch the pas belt.maybe the pupmp/one of the lines is blocked and straining the pump or something?

sorry,not too up on the pas system.

Neil. :)

Yes your right Neil, losing all engine power. Doesnt seem to be G force related either. (Awaiting G60 owners comments on that last statement...)

Mine used to momentarily cut out when turning right shortly after I got the car. Turned out the previous owner had only tightened the positive battery clamp finger tight and it was losing the connection mid bend!

I can't see any relationship with the PAS pump cutting engine power though....very odd!!

Ok, so I am not the only one who has a C that suffers from this kind of problem, mine seems to loose power when turning right also, feels like fuel starvation???

Yes it does feel like fuel starvation dav. Its making roundabouts a nightmare. Its not the battery Kev either. I wish it was something simple to spot like that. Not having the best time at the momment. Spun my new toy on a roundabout lastnight too! :lol: The Corrado better behave or she's getting sold. Heres my tail happy toy btw.

DSCN0261.jpg

I'm surprised the Corrado hasn't been sold already! No comparison at all to the Porker, except maybe in straight line speed. Is it a 3.6 Varioram? Same output as the charged VR ;-)

You must have been going some to spin a 993! Was that in the wet? In the dry they take some stoking to get the rear badly out of shape!

The only other thing I can think of is a low tank and the fuel sloshing to the other side, which would happen on right handers but obviously you have plenty of fuel? If the guage is correct and not gone bad? Loose connection on the pump? A knackered pump relay that is allergic to right handers? :-)

Have you got a spare pump you can try? I have a funny feeling it's that.

Tis a strange one for sure!

Funny indeed,

This problem started after I had my fuel pump replaced, and it only happens when the fuel gauge is near the quarter tank mark, most of the time I don’t let it go bellow half a tank. Although sometimes the laziness gets the best of me and that’s when it happens, could avoid it by keeping it above half, but it should not really be happening at all.

Does it only happen when the fuel level is near the quater tank with you Paul1?

I am going to have a look at the pump this weekend to check the connections.

I wonder if the pump was clipped back in properly?

Two things....

1) The pump is tricky to locate into the tank socket. I've seen some sitting askew. That would cause the pickup to be further up than normal. 1/4 of a tank on the guage equates to roughly 2" fuel depth in the tank, so it's possible for it slosh over mid bend and starve the pump.

2) Some people replace just the actual pump itself, using the existing housing, and again, the pump is correctly seated and therefore sitting too high.

By default the pick up is literally 5 or 6mm off the tank floor.

Not saying that is definitely the problem, but it does sound pump related and they are possible causes.

Got round to having a look in the tank and found that the pump was not located in the socket so when I took a corner the pick up was not in the fuel resulting in fuel starvation.

I have also noticed that my fuel gauge is a lot steadier now, it used to fluctuate a bit especially when going up/down hill.

Seems better now…

I'm having something similar...but mine seems related to hills and not right handers. It sometimes will stall right after turning it on from cold, then start up again and run fine. However, it's also started from cold then simply died on a hill (one time facing downhill, one time facing up hill)

I've found this:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2660&p=23682&hilit=+fuel+starvation#p23682

and this:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19977&p=209377&hilit=+fuel+starvation#p209377

I will try both, but if anyone has any hill-specific advice I'd appreciate it