Sign in to follow this  
Matty Newquay

Induction Kit For 1.8 16v

Um lookin to put a induction kit in just to make the engine sound more flowing if that makes sense!

I have a 1.8 16v and i cant find anythihng anywhere the best so far is a replacement bottom for the existing air box!

Any ideas or advice would be great!

Cheers

Matt

Panel filter and drill the airbox seems to be the preferred method here. You can get a cone filter, but its 150 quid or something dumb, as its got to have loads of doodads on it for air metering and suchlike.

Edit - its made by Stroeve. Do a search on google and you'll be shocked at the price.

I'll second that

Decent filter (i always use genuine vw) or somethin like a k+n, drill the air box on the wing side and take the trumpet out of the front bottom half of the air box

I wouldn't drill- just remove the snorkel and put a cold air feed from the left side of the grille (cut a hole in the plastic panel) to the snorkel hole.

Wow those things look awsome from Stroeve!

But pricy! think i will try drilling holes in the box first !

So i got tomorrow morn off work its not gonna take more than an hour is it? And i should only drill holes on the side that is next to the wing!!!

And as for the trumpet wats that! Sorry just so different from my old car!

Any advice?

Search is your friend. It will have been covered here before. The more specific you are the better the results. eg: "drilling and airbox and panel and filter"

Also the knowledge base on wiki is useful.

The trumpet/snorkel is a bit of plastic inside the airbox (as RobHeath said) which reduces the size of the hole. Rip the mutha out. If You only drill the wing side it will not suck up as much hot air from the engine.

I would second what CazzerVR is saying. When the car is moving if you have a cold air feed from the front you get the effect of the car moving forwards pushing air into the engine providing a very gentle 'forced induction' if you like to put it that way. By drilling the airbox you remove the effect of this.

Just taken a peep at the Stroeve effort. The price is actually in Euros not pounds, so should only be about 100 quid. Looks awesome but i'd like to get feeback from someone who's running one before i parted with me brass!

Matty Nequay, i reckon you should ditch the K&N/snorkel combo and buy a Stroeve :wink:

Pipercross to a kit that replaces the entire bottom of the airbox with a big filter. Had one on a mk1 GTI and it sounded great - not too roary like drilling but a bugger to clean.

PK056C2.jpg

They list aplications for golfs - big box or small box, not sure if it would fit a rado - are the boxes the same?

Cheers

Jof