Sign in to follow this  
cardboard

quick engine life question?

how long can you really expect the vr6 and 2.0's to last? how many miles and with what kind of work to keep them going and in good shape?

what normally goes and needs replacing on the cars.

thanks

In my experience loads of things start going wrong on the vr at about 100-120,000 miles. I've never had a minter though, so they've probably always been ragged (certainly have been since the moment I got them!) :)

Several people have got way higher mileage cars with no problems though.

How long is a piece of string?

There's very few terminally dead VWs, they "just" need a rebuild.

Best way to ensure long engine life is to not thrap them when the oil is still cold, do regular oil changes (6k) with a good quality oil using genuine filters and regular coolant changes wont hurt either.

But saying all that you have no idea how a previous owner has driven the car, unless it's double-6s ;)

as above imho the 2 most important thiongs are dont rag it till its warm (im religious about this) and change the oil alot i try to keep to 3-5k but iv done 6k now im gonna do it soon

Oil is the life blood of any engine. Religious, regular changes are a must. Then follow the normal servicing pattern. Also if supercharged, a regular check on boost and air/fuel ratios should be carried out.

don't know about the VR's but I've seen so many 8v and 16v engines that have done approaching 200,000 miles and are sweet as anything, granted they need regular oil changes, but it's not always the case that even the 16v heads need a rebuild after 100,000.

Given reasonable servicing most 4 pot 1800-2L's will outlast the rest of the mechanicals and the body (pre 97).

My 2.0 16v is running at 175,250 miles as of today - runs pretty good as far as I can tell! Got a slight issue with starting at the moment but think thats down to tired old injectors or the fuel system losing pressure over night and taking a few seconds to get its act together on a morning!

I've not had a 2l but I believe that they are similar to the 1.8 in terms of engine lifespans...

My 1.8 was very well looked after with only mobil 1 used in the car until I bought it, and has had synta gold since.

I had the head rebuilt at 150k ish and have had new injectors, new rad, and oil cooler.

The car still runs pretty well, and showed 144hp and 135lb/ft of torque when it was on 180k miles just before christmas. Which are both above the quoted figures for a new car.

The only component letting the side down is the worn-out gearbox which doesn't engage gears very easily, and crunches a little.

Hope that helps

My VR is just about to turn 206k. I have had it for the last 57k and it has had a replacement cylinder head. I uses a bit of oil (maybe 500ml per 1000 miles, including a very minor leak) but by no means is it oily. The timing chains are now a bit musical and it may be that this is its second set (no record of their having been changed, but I can't say one way or the other), and the clutch will get replaced at the same time. There is a little bit of piston slap for the first minute or so but again this is only to be expected and is by no means excessive. It gave 190bhp at Stealth 2 years ago. As others have said, change the oil and (genuine) filter every 5-6000miles and drive gently until thoroughly warmed up. Deal with any overheating as a matter of utmost urgency. The gearchange down from 3rd to 2nd is sometimes a little obstructive but doesn't grate.

My Passat B4 16V (ABF engine)has done 175k with nothing done to the engine apart from a repacement of the cam cover gasket, plugs and HT leads and a breather hose, plus regular attention to the cam belt and tensioner, replaced with OEM parts.

All water hoses are original. The hydraulic tappets clatter for about one second on start-up. It uses perhaps a bit more oil than the VR so the valve guides/seals may be tired. It gets a change every 5000 miles. The synchro on 2nd gear can be beaten especially on the up change oddly enough.

That's it!! Two living testaments to superior engineering. I wonder if the recently acquired Jaguar will be similarly long-lived.

Best wishes

RB

Two living testaments to superior engineering. I wonder if the recently acquired Jaguar will be similarly long-lived.

There's a '88 toyota carina II in our family (bought when a year old) on 200,000 and it's 1600 16v engine is incredibly quiet and smooth running and the gearbox is still slick, light and smooth, uses next to no oil and all it's had replaced is rear shocks and one exhaust system. On the ramp at MOT time you can see just how well engineered it is, dull but amazingly dependable.

Best way to ensure long engine life is to not thrap them when the oil is still cold, do regular oil changes (6k) with a good quality oil using genuine filters and regular coolant changes wont hurt either.

But saying all that you have no idea how a previous owner has driven the car, unless it's double-6s ;)

Cheeky begger! :)

Mine does get the nuts ragged off it, but only when it's warmed through!