Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

Gas flowed inlets

As with every other Valver pilot on the face of the planet I lay awake at night dreaming of more power. I long for the day my BHP figure is higher then my bloody 12mth road tax figure but that day is getting increasingly far away.

My latest idea is the whole gas flowed inlet manifold thing, Is it a waste of 100 beer tokens or not. Along with getting the throttle body played with I've been told to expect returns of up to a massive 8bhp...ooooh I hear you modded G60 boys cry.

Has anybody had their inlet gas flowed and seen good returns? Just dunno if it's worth it.

Your best bet is to invest that 100 beer chits into one of these

Should get a half decent improvement just by chucking it on ;)

assuming you haven't already had this done, for under a hundred quid (possibly nearer 50) you should be able to get the engine properly set up on a rolling road, it's not uncommon for a 1.8 16v that runs perfectly well to see gains of 5-10bhp just from having the fuelling and ignition timing set up to get the most at the top end.

as i have just fitted the 50mm inlet will i need to sort out the air/fuel mix as the bore is bigger obviously lettin more air in? i would love to have a spae 700. quid it would definately get spent on a cnc head , best get saving

Cheers for the suggestions, I did very nearly mess myself over the picture of that head (that sounded a bit suspect) but £800 is a touch on the steep side.

Think the rolling road idea is the key as I've still never bothered, anybody know anyone in the west that they can recommend? Stealth is a bit of a drive as I live in Weymouth.

I've got Janspeed in Salisbury but I've no idea if they're any good.

Many eons ago, I remember Stealth playing with vernier pulleys on a 2.0 16V Audi engine and just that alone gave an additional 10lb/ft torque across the range. Something to consider....

but £800 is a touch on the steep side.

I agree. I'd love a flowed head to make the most of a 9A bottom end that I'm planning to fit, but £800 is a bridge waaaaay too far sadly.

Many eons ago, I remember Stealth playing with vernier pulleys on a 2.0 16V Audi engine and just that alone gave an additional 10lb/ft torque across the range. Something to consider....

I remember that coming up in the past... I think it'd be well worth exploring. Cheers for the reminder Kev.

I think he used one of those anodised Kent Cam jobbies, they're about £80 ish or something? That's good value for the improvements it can yield!

But isn't 350 squid for an exchange head, or am I reading that completely wrong?

Thing being TSR wanted just under £600 for a flowed head with no flow figures provided.

Don't think these are bad value for money really, you are getting the best you can and it is guarenteed not a best guess piece of workmanship.

But isn't 350 squid for an exchange head, or am I reading that completely wrong?

It's £350 surcharge for the head and £750-£800 to have the work done on it. SO if you've not got a spare head you pay £1100, and get your £350 back when you return the head.... I think.

Yandards That's a very good point. You know you'll be seeing even flow rates and compression accross the cylinders on one of these heads. Would be interesting to see the difference on a standard car. And I'd imagine the gains would be just as good for a forced induction 16v.

£881.25p inc the vat (minus the taping option). Anyone know how much new oem ones cost in comparison?

more than the cost of a low mileage 16v corrado I'd imagine :lol:

not knocking the CNC heads quality, but unless you are building a blueprinted race prepped car I wouldn't have though you're going to get near the heads maximum power potential, for a start the K-jet system wont deliver enough fuel and air, their small print does cover them there!

There's plently of 16v cars with TSR heads or similar (for much cheaper) that have put out over 180bhp on Stealths rollers, and for comparison standard 16v's make about 130-145 bhp on their rollers so they may overread a bit on the calculated crank hp but they're a good guide.

You do get what you pay for though and a cheap job that just opens up the inlet ports wide and concentrates on the bits of the head that are easy to reach with tools are always going to be inferior.

My head including 4 new valves set me back just under 600 quid, and although a while back that's the sort of money that will get you a carefully modified head from someone who knows what they are doing. The guys that did mine were not VW experts, in fact they prepared bike heads mainly, but their reputation was good and the work looked good and certainly did the trick on the road.

I might not have the power of the wild cam brigade but over 175bhp on standard cams at 600rpm lower than CNC quote for just over 200bhp is pretty good as far as I'm concerned, the engine will almost hit the limiter in fifth which means there must be a bit of torque at the top end :)

excellent info davidwort when doing something like this is it neccessary to increase the size of pistons and the like?