Sign in to follow this  
BurntOut

Oil Valve Stem Seals ? I Think

Looke like my first major prob with my rado, when i come of the throttle then put it back on i get a rather large plume of smoke behind me, and she is goin through oil like no-ones business, someone has commented that my stem seals could be shot, any ideas roughly how much this is gonna cost me and is it a tough job to get done.

Also have a small oil leak from underneath the car but think its just a seal thing too (finger crossed).

Hehe the joys :x

I always thought that valve stem oil seals meant that you got a large plume of smoke on start up, as the oil seeps down overnight into the chambers.

I would have thought your piston rings could be worn instead???

Please correct me if i'm wrong?! :oops:

Have to agree with the above. My oil seals are slightly worn on my RS Turbo and that puffs smoke out only on start up. To be certain i had it checked at a rolling road tuners to be sure it wasn't the turbo bearings. All was fine with the turbo and the valve stem seals were confirmed as the culprit. The RS doesn't use much (if at all) oil either tbh.

L1OOPY is right with the oil seeping into the chambers, i was told exactly that by the tuners.

If it's turbo seals there will be quite a bit of condensed oil in the intake and intercooler, assuming the breather isn't recirculating into the intake.

I remember the good old days of T25 and T3 turbos that used to smoke new out of the box :lol: Things have moved on a bit now..... but they weren't all bad.

Anyway, this VR, defo stem seals. It's not the dripping down into the chambers that's the problem, but rather immense vacuum on the over-run pulling oil through shagged guides and seals, which gets burned off when you crack open the throttle again.

Piston / ring / cylinder wear would give a nice puff of smoke when cold....and usually under hard acceleration too. VR6 guides aren't submersed in oil, so there's no way it can 'drip down overnight', sorry :-)

think i'm sufferin the same thing we my g60.i wouldnt say it was smokey on start up,but if i put me foot down seems to put a bit of smoke out.so what ya reckonDr cheesewire?

Thanx for your comments guys:

Found out it is also oiling up plug 6 and knocking it off a cylinder to so looks like new rings required, also found out my oil leak looks like its the crankshaft seal the joys of rado ownership LOL

Thanx for your comments guys:

Found out it is also oiling up plug 6 and knocking it off a cylinder to so looks like new rings required, also found out my oil leak looks like its the crankshaft seal the joys of rado ownership LOL

I would do a leakdown test on number 6 then to make sure it's not the oil stem seals first mate - because Kev's absolutely right, that sounds like the problem.

I had problems with oily plugs on a passat and if you booted it after letting it rev on the overun, smoke would pour ouit the back. It's worth doing before you fart about with rings.

Oh dear, i had the same thing with my valver a few months back. Turns out to be the piston rings were knackered, que an expensive rebuild!

A leakdown test is the best thing to do first, but good luck finding somewhere that will do it, my local mechanic had never heard of one!

Just an update actually got round to leavin the vr6 in for the work and was called down to the mechanic who shows me a small chunk out of piston no 6, so a new piston required as well as new rings etc etc etc, LOVELY i have faith the outlay will be worth it though LOL

anyone have an idea on a rough price on havin the same done to a g60,oil seals plus piston rings?

:?

m8 my receipt say the following:

H.Set VW = 80.00 + vat

Piston = 75.00 + vat

Rings VW = 75.00 + vat

from http://www.ballymenaenginespares.co.uk (not advertisin jus incase u wud be stuck highly unlikely though more part prob available on UK Mainland than here in N. Ireland LOL)

Dunno if H Set is the oil seals or gaskets etc, but rings where £15 each+ vat, Jus splashed out £350 on parts alone so far, will keep ya all up to date on final cost LOL