Sign in to follow this  
Tifun

subframe dropped please help

so I pulled off my front bumper because its getting shaved. I've been driving for about a week, now all of a sudden today my subframe dropped on one side and broke my radiator. my question is, the bolts that hold to bumper, are they support bolts. meaning was I suppose to put those back in. mistakes have obviously been made. I just want to figure out what I was neglagent on. any thoughts tips or ideas????

I would say that yes the bumper bolts support the front subframe because the 4 bolts go through the subframe through the chassis then into the captive nut in the front bumper frame if you have been driving the car w/out these 4 bolts in place the subframe will only be hanging on the two 8mm bolts in the centre of the bumper bolts on either side (I think)...

No they are not support bots as such but without them the bolt in the center will probably snap. when i removed mine they just dropped out with no resistance, but after having a good look and conversation with Supercharged i would say they play a vital role in stopping what has happened to you.

Ok, now my next question is, is the frame rails that stick out, are the threaded or what? I couldn't see any thread, but it could be dropped down a bit. I now wish I would have put those bolts back in, but looking back at the thread I used to pull the bumper off it said it wasn't necessary. I'm going to bump it and request a change to that DIY. I just can't see where those bolts thread into other then the bumper support which is not on the car....or at me house, which makes it even harder to tell how its suppose to go back on....this sucks. I wish no one this kind of luck.

The holes in the subframe arn't threaded, the bolts go into the bumper. Don't really think they would have ever planned for it to be driven with the bumper off.....

The holes in the subframe arn't threaded, the bolts go into the bumper. Don't really think they would have ever planned for it to be driven with the bumper off.....

I think your right lol. But I only have one car at this time so doing custom work requires me to pull stuff off that still allows me to drive, of course looking at it now, I think this one has limited me :p

well shes back on the road. I learned a valueable lesson lol. luckily nothing broke or got damaged. below is a pic of my goofy mistake.

Er the metalwork in the bumper is structural and the whole chassis will flex without it bolted on... :(

Tip - you can take the brackets off the bumper tho if needed and put these on to drive it - this is what we did to 2CC's car to get it home from the Ring...