Sign in to follow this  
Owen VR6

Sport Cat or Cat Bypass?

Well as your car is post '92, you're going to need to know a "friendly" MOT test station to have any chance of passing your MOT..

So your best bet is probably a sports cat. They're not bank bustingly expensive - Milltek do one, I believe for about £250..

I believe there are still plenty of ways around the emissions test. I don't know of any specific tricks or anything, but I understand its still easy enough to work around.

Really depends on the MOT station (just been through all off this with mine!), and a VR running properly will pass an MOT without a cat, but only if the tester doesn't notice it's missing.

Get some V bands welded onto the standard cat to put in for the mot and have a bypass pipe with V bands for the rest of the year. Easy to change over then.

Removing the cat from a 10 year old+ car usually involves grinding and cutting of the 3 bolt section at the front from the downpipe as the bolts will be very seized up or under sized or both. The other end will also be pretty tight but should come off in one piece as it's the usual exhuast sleeve and clamp type stuff.

Milltek and others do a standard fit cat bypass pipe, but it may need the rest of the system to fit or adapters (as on a Jetex 2.5").

But if you want to swap the cat back in I'd highly recommend getting V bands fitted to the sections of pipe, as this makes it much easier to swap over at test time.

And always remember that it is a legal requirement that post 92 cars are fitted with a catalytic converter.