Sign in to follow this  
rayb74

Compression test results 2.0 16v !

I have just performed a compression test and this is what I get on the Cylinders (Number 1 being the Alternator end)

1= 14.5 bar

2= 13.5 bar

3= 4.5 bar

4= 4.5 bar

When testing 3 and 4 a strange loud hollowish sort of "Sucking" sound can be heard. I know this is not good. Can someone please tell me how bad this is or what could be causing it. Is my car FUBAR?

The car still starts and runs although extremely badly.

Is 1 & 2 very high?

Could 3 & 4 be a leak between cylinder (Gasket)?

get a VAG genuine metal headgasket, not too bad a job, just that the inlet is in the way so top half has to come off.

just a standard multi spline M11 bolt, not sure of size, got one in a set of 5 that also covers driveshaft spline bolt.

I am going to replace the Cam Belt and tensioner. Am I going to need any special tools or is it straight forward? Do I have to remove the other two pulleys and belts to get to it?

I am going to replace the Cam Belt and tensioner. Am I going to need any special tools or is it straight forward? Do I have to remove the other two pulleys and belts to get to it?

outer pulleys need to come off to get the lower timing belt cover off, the alternator pulley on the crank can get pretty stuck, no need to remove bottom timing belt pulley (easy mistake to make as the two almost fuse together) but may need a lot of pursausion to get off.

you can do the tensionner with a pair of angled long nosed pliers, just make sure the belt is just about twistable to 90 degrees half way between cam pulley and intermediate shaft pulley.

Thx Davidwort !

I just got myself a set of spline drives from halfords works great apart from cant get the back ones :( Will have to get a long reach 12mm tomorrow.

Just out of interest how much do you reckon a garage would charge for a new Headgasket and Cambelt to be fitted? I hope this is worth my effort lol.