Sign in to follow this  
Furkz

I smell Fuel?

in the engine bay and very slight in the cabin when im going over 4k, but strong in the bay

check the hose going to the FPR, but quite strong still. where else should i be looking

quite annoyed, having a rough time with the motor atm:(

I have had the same.

Changed the pipe going to the fuel rail on the back left hand side of the head and today found another leak on a small piece of hose at the back right hand side of the head that is just a small u shape. This had been rubbing against the head and had a small puncture. Sorry I cant be any more descriptive as I aint got a clue about engines. :lol:

Tim

There's another one on the right and side of the fuel rail as you look at it Furkz (just behind/below the ISV). It's U shaped and goes to the pressure sensor. Mine was weeping there at both ends, but only really slightly. Might be worth checking. New pipe cured it. Problem is as the engine warms up it's often difficult to see where it's coming from. Good luck with it.

Mine leaked in the exact same place.. the U bend to the fuel rail. Started off as a bit of a niff then started to REALLY stink.. opened the bonnet to see fuel dripping out of that split and sizzling on the exhaust manifold. Talk about close miss.. could easily result in an engine bay fire.

Furkz.. fairly pricey from VW for the correct bit. I have one here somewhere that I never needed to fit in the end (got fixed at Stealth on a routine visit but i'd already bought the bit) but no easy way to get it to you! Think it cost about £8-£10?

Jimmy if i need it i pm you my address, bank hol weekends are good for a long drive, specially as the wethers so nice

Hi Furkz

I had to change all three fuel hoses last summer as two where leaking and the other looked dodgy, if your prepared

for yet another ass rape at your local VW stealership they will set you back £72 :shock:

Hi Furkz

I had to change all three fuel hoses last summer as two where leaking and the other looked dodgy, if your prepared

for yet another ass rape at your local VW stealership they will set you back £72 :shock:

fúckking great, stealers are just a buch of sh1tty cnuts, really getting pissssed of with this rado ownership now,. might be time for something newer

Furkz.. you don't need to buy the official VW pipes that are all precut! Just buy a bunch of the same grade stuff from a motor factors and cut to the correct lengths yourself. Will save you a packet! :)

it really is worth changing all the flexi fuel hoses on any car of this age.

i had the fuel smell in the cabin and engine bay last year but couldnt find any leaks at first, it turned out to be the main feed line that was squirting onto the exhaust manifold under acceleration, when i checked all the pipes they where all very badly cracked around the ends. i just replaced all of mine with some goodyear fuel hose from halfords.

its also worth checking the two flexis either side of the fuel filter, if they are leaking the smell wont usually be that obvious when driving but you may notice it when you pull up and get out of the car.

i really cant see the point in paying silly money for oem hoses just because they are pre shaped, none of the angles are tight enough to cause the pipe to crimp or catch ony anything and when my company van went into vw for a fuel hose to be replaced they just replaced it with a section of standard fuel hose.

Furkz.. you don't need to buy the official VW pipes that are all precut! Just buy a bunch of the same grade stuff from a motor factors and cut to the correct lengths yourself. Will save you a packet! :)

thats cool, just didnt know if they were cut in a certain way or rounded bent, like normal oem places like to do so ppl have to go to the stealers.

ill just change them all anyways then

I'm glad its a common problem... i've been smelling fuel for the past week, hopefully the rain'll hold off till tomorrow eveing and i'll do it tomorrow morning! :D cheers

Yeah.. does happen on the VR too. Some of these problems are strangely seasonal.. i'm sure my fuel leak problems were around this time of year too. Very weird.

imo

go to vw dealers for that u shaped pipe and get the correct clips, think it cost summat lie a tenner from there iirc. its even got the little line where the clip should go and its the correct pipe for the job. If you get one from a factors, make sure its got the same outside diameter and inner diameter as if the outside dia is bigger, you wont get as much clamping force thru the clip onto the pipe it connects to. I did the same and it blew the pipe off and i was wondering why there was steam comin off the exhaust manifold and why it was spluttering, fuel allover the hot mainfold, not a good ide i tell ya! :shock:

i got some cable ties and some 6mm pipe that i found in the shed and some superglue. BRB ;)

make sure its fuel hose not air hose!

if you struggle to get it fitted i know a guy down in littlehampton that would be happy to do it for free! :lol:

never guees waht i tigheten some clips a lil and its gone no more smelling, dont want to be too happy im sure it will come back tomorrow lol

got the pipes and clips too from a pipe manufacturer for £5 all in 6mm and the 8mm u bend woohoo.

cleaned and polished the car in my spare time, never been so shiny as today, well impressed 8)

i replaced the pipe today, only coz nino said so, ;) how obedient lol

was rotten to **** underneath on the verge of dying

Good job. Has the smell gone away now? Would have been pretty gutting for your Corrado to go out from an engine fire after the amount of work you've put into it mate.

hopefully jim it be all good, didnt get a chance to go for a test drive, i think the drive to belgium will be the test ;)

£5... Bugger! :( oh well at least it should be another 15yrs before mine need doing again!