Sign in to follow this  
mmmbeer

G60 getting to much fuel. SOLVED! Aftermarket Lambda-sensor

I recently had some hessitation and almost stalling with my G60. The problem seemed to come and go. I pulled the sparkplugs and they were all black of sot and drenched in fuel. The same for all 4 plugs. What can cause the engine to get too much fuel? I have not found any vacuum leaks and the airfilter seemed OK enough. The exhaust, catalytic converter and lambda-probe are recently changed by a shop.

Please explain what sensors or similar that control fuel delivery to the G60.

The blue tempsensor seems to be working. I measured the resistance to be 300ohm in a boiling caserolle, and climbing all the way up to 2200 when dipped in cool tapwater.

Any other ideas? The lambda is only providing small fuel corrections, right? It could not cause this much fuelflooding, or could it? If it could I would have to get it back to the shop who installed the new catalytic converter and lambda recently.

I would check the lambda wiring up to the ECU with a multimeter...

The lambda probe is very responsible for fuel delivery!

So it´s better to get back to the shop. 8)

Thanks for the help so far guys, but the problem seem to still be there. But only now and then. I got a tip that it could be the hall-sender. Could anyone explain what symptoms one might get when this one starts to act up?

Had exactly the same problem a few weeks ago.

The C was drinking the petrol as fast as I could put it in the tank. Plugs covered in blackness, car had a slight hiccup/stutter when I lifted off the go pedal.

Took it to garage and ended up with a new lambda probe. Job sorted.

Did they tune the engine when they fitted a new probe?

I had a exhaust emission test done before and after the catlytic converter and lambda change. It was high on all emissions before the change and perfect after the change. This was a few months ago. Now it is really flooding fuel, so much that I can smell the fuel and also getting drops of fuel/sot out the exhaust tip.

Edit: At least I thought it was fuel dripping, because of the smell. But it could ofcourse be condensed water with sot along with the smell of fuel.

Anyone have info about hall-sender symptoms?

You can also have a bad earth connection on the engine block.

This can cause some issues with emissions, as the G60 lambda probe ground (output) is done by the exhaust pipe.

So, if you don´t have a good engine ground, the ECU will get lower output voltage from the lambda, therefore adding more fuel into the engine.

Problem solved! (almost)

The problem seems to be in relation to the lambda as you guys said. I took a test drive today and could feel the problem coming and going away. A huge loss of power for 10-20 seconds and then back to normal. The plugs were full of sot and smelled of fuel. I then disconnected the lambda wiring-connectin and the problem disappeared. I am now getting back to normal color on my plugs and I took a long testdrive with no problems.

The remaining question is if it is caused by the lambda-probe itself or some other issue like ground or ecu problem. Anyway I am going back to the shop which installed the new lambda-probe.

I checked all the ground wires and they seem to be in good condition.

Thw shop had used an aftermarket lambda-sensor, which cost 1/3 of the OEM, but obviously did not handle the heat. A OEM is ordered and happy results are expected next week. It costs the norwegian equivalent of 415USD and had to be special ordered from Germany. That is kind of steep for a lambda, but it needs doing.

Thw shop had used an aftermarket lambda-sensor, which cost 1/3 of the OEM, but obviously did not handle the heat. A OEM is ordered and happy results are expected next week. It costs the norwegian equivalent of 415USD and had to be special ordered from Germany. That is kind of steep for a lambda, but it needs doing.

OMG that is a huge amount of money :shock: - I bought a Bosch sensor here for £80 ($160). Hope it fixes your problem though.

makes sense, pattern/generic sensors cause no end of problems at my dad's garage, plenty of 2.0 16v Corrados seem to have suffered from poor quality pattern lambda sensors too, last one I saw was at stealth, sensor had only been on for a few months.

ooh eerr. i think i have an ebay classic special on mine. ooops. better get saving.

good post and glad you got to the bottom of it.

i have a similar problem with my G60 where i failed emissions, they said i need a catalytic converter and a distributor. but my mechanic said it's a bigger problem like the ecu or the mass air flow but he doesnt know for sure....im getting black smoke shot out the exhaust when i hit the gas and even when it's idling, it's definitely running rich and i can smell gasoline when im driving. (there's also a lack of power when i go to second gear, it's fine on 1,3,4,5, like there's no kick at all even when i step on the gas not sure if it's related prly not) can anybody help??

thanks,

sean

i have a similar problem with my G60 where i failed emissions, they said i need a catalytic converter and a distributor. but my mechanic said it's a bigger problem like the ecu or the mass air flow but he doesnt know for sure....im getting black smoke shot out the exhaust when i hit the gas and even when it's idling, it's definitely running rich and i can smell gasoline when im driving. (there's also a lack of power when i go to second gear, it's fine on 1,3,4,5, like there's no kick at all even when i step on the gas not sure if it's related prly not) can anybody help??

thanks,

sean

Hello mate!

Welcome to the best forum in the world! And also smart choice to get a Corrado! :)

Well lambda probes are VERY responsable for fuel delivery, a high millage or dead lambda probe will affect you car´s performance for sure.

So if you don´t remember when you changed the lamda last time, maybe you should get a brand genuine new one. Here in Portugal i can get them much cheaper (than VW) from Bosch!

Inspect all wires and clean plugs, then setup the ignition timing to 6deg. and give it a nice CO tune.

Maybe it would be also nice to check the spark plugs aswell.

I´m pretty sure you´ll notice a huge difference!

But, if you want to leave the job with a very talent guy, book your car into G-Werks! You won´t regret! :D

thanks for the reply.

i assume you're talking about the CO sensor. that's what my mechanic calls it... and that's the first thing they thought of, so they replaced it with a new one from bosch. did not change a thing though, and it's pretty annoying that they don't know for sure what the problem is.

sean

thanks wales

and would you happen to know any reasons why my rado is running so rich like it;s getting way too much fuel... we replaced the co2 sensor and they think the only reason it could be is the ecu or mass air flow, which is expensive.... im not sure if they just dont wanna look at anything else or what?? any advice would help.

cheers

my corrado g60 is seriousy overfuelling when starting. i have replaced the blu temp sender and the problem remains.

i took it to volkswagen and they tell me the ecu is knakered. i wonder if they are unsure.

im very interseted in your post. what exactly was your corrado doing. was it struggling to start when warm. did it run fine once it had started

it was struggling when it started, the timing was way off, i would hit the gas and nothing would happen sometimes. like no acceleration... black smoke coming out the back etc... but the fixed hose at the ecu fixed it

Sorry to bring this thread up from the dead lol

But i have the same sort of problem my car is over fueling really bad, when i turn it on its ok but after 5 minutes the car splaters, when you rev it you get alot of black smoke and smells of fuel and when you drive it feels like it dieing but then you go over 3k rpm and its ok, so i checked the plugs and they were really black so changed them and still getting the problem.

so i order a new air flow meter and Lambda-sensor and gonna clean the air filter, if this does not help where do i look next

cheers for any help you can give

New to the corrado world

cheers

Rob