Sign in to follow this  
Dubsingh

g60 engine rebuild

Hi guys have split appart the engine on the raddo......

the events that lead to the spliting of the engine were i had rebuilt the charger twice wiv new seals only to find oil still pissing out of it. a lil bit of research and checking the engines health i found that she was breathing heavey...i mean after taking the pipe of the breather the garge would fill wiv smoke within 2 3 mins....she had a weak headgasket any way so before taking her appart comp test show 109,30,120,120 (figures are what i vagly remem)

so split the engine and sure i found cylinder two the gasket was blown....anf the pistons slap about without excesive force....there is a lip on the bore id say enough to warrent a re hone to perhaps 1 or 2 thou and use bigger rings

i wanted to see wot you guys have done when rebuilding your engines....... wot am i looking at as my dad is dab hand at rebuilds but i want to have all the info i can get before i approach him as he has the old skool way of thinking...as in just bigger rings etc....i dnt think he realises i want to drive it hard at times so a fix that runs fine as long a i dnt drive it like i stole it is no good to me. esp when she is in bits now

the parts and numbers/prices id be after are as follows along with any sound advice...iv done odd headgasket jobs and big end bearings so not afraid of hard wok:

1, pistons....what are the original ones in terms of size ?

2, Where can i source pistons and what size would i require....83mm?? (would this take it to 1.9l)

3, Oil pump

4, conrod bolts

3, new crank pulley bolt??

5, headbolts can 8v gti ones be used?

6, big end bearings

7, crank bearings

8, is it necessary to skim the head as i had a look it dnt look warpped...but iv been advised i should have it skimed very very slighlty... and regring valves to make the diff....(dnt knw if thats right)...i might go for a metal head gasket....

iv prob missed a few things out so thanks in advance for any input on info

hello mate, that is a pain in the backside, been there and done that im afraid. anyhow

get a new oil pump from VW, about 120 quid

use headbolts from GSF, about a quid each

use a crank pulley bolt from a DX engine

use the best bearings you can afford, but VW bearings are expensive, very expensive

83mm pistons will fit, ask BlueJoe what he fitted as he went BIG with his, cant remember what size mine are. they are forged items mind you

regards, Rob

wot you guys reckon to tthe TSR bore and build kit think it comes with all i need for the engine side all i have to get is a headset from gsf then.

the kit is £587and You bore your original engine to either 83.00mm for a 19000cc conversion parts supplied to the conversion. KS or Mahle pistons, KS bearings, new oil pump, new con rod bolts, engine gasket set, oil filter, cam belt and tensioner. 2000cc conversions are also supplied with a balanced crankshaft.

the headgasket kit is 79 quid from gsf....but im still not gettin a clear idea of wheather i can use the 8v gti head bolts on the PG engine.....

why would you want to use gti 8v head bolts (if they are any different to pg bolts) when the correct bolts are about 1 pound each?

oh and the G60 head gasket is metal anyway, referring to the earlier post

if the TSR kit is that cheap and comes with all that gear, its a bargain. i paid that much for my forged pistons alone