Sign in to follow this  
gezza

rolling road and spark plugs... ROLLING ROAD FIGURES........

going on a charity event "rolling road" do in a few weeks with the scooby club i am still in.

anyway think my plugs may need doing as it turns over for a while before starting??

what plugs should i be useing and were do i get them from and how much?? (vr6 m reg)

am i right in thinking iridium?? if so which ones??

are platinum better??

want good figures also, as rest of cars are gonna be scoobys!!!

its at prosport if anyone wants to come and nosy??

help would be much apprecaotted cheers guys gerry

Ive used the VAG Platinum ones and they have done me no harm. and a healthy readout on the two roads Ive rolled on.

Bout 50 quid for a full set.

iridium lasts longer than plats IIRC,NGK's are the ones for the Corrado due to being able to withstand the heat better,but if you ask Cheesewire I'm sure he'l be able to help you as he has shares in plugs seemingly :lol:

don't get them from VW as you'll pay over the odds for the same plug you can get cheaper in Halfords

Ive used the VAG Platinum ones and they have done me no harm. and a healthy readout on the two roads Ive rolled on.

Bout 50 quid for a full set.

were shall i get em from have you a part number??

what bhp should i be expecting its only got a panel filter will it be std ish 190 or more??

what is torque like on these?? i dont want to be lowest on the day!! even if it is for charity!!!

std you should be 190bhp/181lb/ft

that it :(!!!!!!!

last time i went on with scooby it produced 327bhp with 321lb/ft just hope some lads bring some sport models with them!!! and that my mate ronnie doesnt bring his 493bhp with 440lb/ft classic scoob :) :)

you'll still have the better car there tho

No really!

Did you ever see the episode of the Simpsons when homer designed his own car?

Well the car he designed reminds me of a scobby.

:)

btw you better order a spark plug lead removal tool from Zerocool on here as the plastic one you might have with the VR's toolkit is about as much use as a chocolate ashtray

right cheers, will double check if my meighbour has one first as he is a mechanic hopefully he will have and i will pay him to get his hands dirty!!!

std you should be 190bhp/181lb/ft

that it :(!!!!!!!

Maybe you shouldn't have bought a Corrado VR6 then :lol: It's an 80s car, what did you expect?

last time i went on with scooby it produced 327bhp with 321lb/ft just hope some lads bring some sport models with them!!! and that my mate ronnie doesnt bring his 493bhp with 440lb/ft classic scoob :) :)

Yeah , but no one will be expecting anything like that from your car, LOL! Besides, anyone can turn boost up.....but on Scoobs and Evos that's a dangerous game....hope your mate Ronnie's got a weak clutch in it cause he needs a weak spot to protect the transmission....they're not the toughest in those scoobs...or Evos.

Spark plugs. Don't waste your money on gimmicky platinums and iridiums, all you need is a plain vanilla NGK BKR5E, which you can get for 2 quid each from http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk

vw recommend platinum tip though for vr6???

scoobys are the strongest of em are they they and i have had 3!!! olny sold mine due to finances and really wanted another vr6 just love the sound of em not really bothered about me being one of lowest figures on day, its for charity plus its on the road were it counts!!!

cheers for help guys may have to get an order in for one of them tools!!

just runhg halfords and they have champion eon 2??? are these the ones i need?? they didnt have ngk plats???

main advantage I've seen from platinum plugs is how long they last, on my mk4 at 40K I thought it was about time I swapped the plugs, rang around to get the best price for four and managed to get them for around 30 quid which I thought was ridiculous compared to the valver standard Bosch ones (IRO £2 each)

Went to change them and I couldn't spot the difference between the old ones and the new ones, VAG specify 40K on those ones, but they seem to last far longer.

you'll still have the better car there tho

No really!

Did you ever see the episode of the Simpsons when homer designed his own car?

Well the car he designed reminds me of a scobby.

:)

You may mock, but I had a LOT LESS trouble with my Scobby in the 2 years I had than I have with the VR in 6 months. No danger I would swap back again though! :)

What year was the scooby built though?

A '97 plate Scooby with 100K Vs a '95 Plate Corrado with 116K. Not a lot in it really.

Know nothing about the scooby but bear in mind that even though it's a '95 VR, it's still fundamentally a car that they started producing in 1992 (with a few minor changes up to the end of production) and is based on a car that started life back in the late 80's.

VW would recommend Plat plugs so that they can charge us £8+VAT each for the privilige.

40K may be the quoted lifespan for a plat, but in a VR, they don't last that long, which is why I use the 2 quid ones, plus the engine seems to prefer the cheapys as it's a bit smoother.

As for Scoobs not being the strongest, I meant the drivetrain. That's common to ANY car running more power than the factory intended and wasn't a swipe at Scoobs. I have seen with my own eyes what happens to Subaru and Evo engines and gearboxes when you push your luck. It is also common knowledge that Subaru and Mitsubishi deliberaty under clutch to hp to protect the drivetrain.....