Sign in to follow this  
easypops

timing marks ?????

hi all i am hopefully half way through fitting my kr cam. putting the cams back in after having them out is a nightmare :shock:

now i have them in , in a way i think is correct, the marks for tdc seem to be sitting a little to the left.....if i turm the exhaust cam to the right then the 2 circles on the cam sprockets will not sit in line.....so the question is.....are these 2 circles just there to help you seat the cams correctly and have nothing to do with the timing? because when you are doing the timing usually you wont heve the cam cover off anyway

here are a couple of pics to see if anyone can help / laugh :D

I can't really see much in the bottom picture, but the top one looks correct. Assuming your engine is currently stuck at TDC then your alright. They way i check the cams are aligned correctly is by putting something like a stanley knive blade flat on the head (behind the cam). The marks on the cams should line up with the stanley knive blade. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, the top image is the way my cams where when I put the KR cam in my car and it has run fine since i put it in.

another couple of hours on.......i have the circles on the cam sprockets lining up...i also have the tdc line on the top pulley lined up.......but the bottom mark is about 10-15mm to the right.

can i take timing belt off and somehow move the bottom pulley? put it in gear and roll back a touch?

another couple of hours on.......i have the circles on the cam sprockets lining up...i also have the tdc line on the top pulley lined up.......but the bottom mark is about 10-15mm to the right.

can i take timing belt off and somehow move the bottom pulley? put it in gear and roll back a touch?

just use a socket on the crank pulley bolt and turn in the appropriate direction, check down the timing hole in the top of the gearbox to make sure it's 100% lined up, crank pulley mark against timing cover arrow is usually good enough though.

re-tightening the tensionner can be a bugger though, seems to pull it a tooth or so either way as the cams often rest just slightly in the wrong position when the timing belt is slackened

just use a socket on the crank pulley bolt and turn in the appropriate direction, check down the timing hole in the top of the gearbox to make sure it's 100% lined up, crank pulley mark against timing cover arrow is usually good enough though.

re-tightening the tensionner can be a bugger though, seems to pull it a tooth or so either way as the cams often rest just slightly in the wrong position when the timing belt is slackened

the crank pulley isnt a bolt.....it seems to be a toothed type of thing....will a socket fit on this?

thanks as always martin

yeah you need the appropriate star type socket to fit over it.

does this thing have a name? can i get it from vw?

Answered in other thread before I saw this (Please try and keep to one thread)

It's a normal 12 point socket, 19 mm I think - part of the Halfords 150 set.

I would strongly recommend using the proper tensioning tool (GSF), especially if you have the late 9A / ABF tensioner.

Timing marks - as David says, only rely on the flywheel mark then check the camshaft pully and check cams, turn engine twice by hand and re-check.

ok mate, i'll get the tool from gsf.....sorry about the multiple threads....10 hours of engine nightmares to blame...was just one of those days

Yeah no worries - I know what it's like!

Get the belt off and line everything up as it should be, (if your re-using the belt make sure it goes on in the same direction), then fit belt from bottom up along it's longest run and round the cam (you'll need someone to help hold cams in place), then with the belt slipped halfway onto the cam pulley fit the tensioner round it and slide it onto it's stud, slide the belt on and do the tensioner nut up hand tight, check the marks... if it looks clearly out then start again but if something looks very slightly off then don't worry as the belt tension can account for this, use the tool and check the belt tension along it's longest run (should twist no more than 90 degrees) lock the nut with a spanner so the tensioner won't move, turn over twice by hand and re-check marks. If your happy then torque nut up to 25Nm.

more progress.....but still not there yet :D ......got the marks all lined up.....put it all back together.....car starts after a couple of seconds......but it sounds really loud? like it would if the exhaust had no silencer ?? anyone any thoughts?

i think the timing marks are ok though as no judder when i cut the engine......havent driven it yet.....

You didn't undo a exhaust manifold bolt or something while you were in there working. The KR cam change doesn't make your engine sounds any different. It sounds stock when sat still.