Sign in to follow this  
maxveins

Wiring help, pictures attatched!! 1.8 16valver... (again...!

Ok, so the temperature gauge isn't working, but have been fiddling about with so many bloody sensors I'm lost, I can drive the car fine, it never overheats and the oil hasn't gone over 96 and that is when at a standstill.

Attatched are pictures of what wires are connected where, I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what needs to go where?

DSC00174.JPG

From standing looking into the engine bay this picture is from the right hand side of the engine,

If you can't see, the top wire is a green / red, the one directly underneath is blue / white, and the one to the right is yellow.

Next pic.

DSC00175.JPG

This picture is from the front of the engine, on top of the oil filter?

Nearest wire yellow, farthest wire blue, and the one loose at the front is blue and white.

Thanks for any help, as although it's not overheating, it is quite un-nerving having no temperature gauge!

Max

The ones on top of the oil cooler seem to be correct, you would have you oil light flashing at you if it wasn't.

As for your first picture, i'm not too sure as it appears to be different to the 9a.....on the 9a the gauge sender is the one below the distributor and i beleive has a yellow wire going onto it....

all three temp senders on the side of the head are identical, so it makes no difference which way round they go, if you suspect one sender, swap them round, if there is still no difference in the gauge it may be the wiring that has broken to the gauge or the gauge itself.

the oil filter housing looks fine, the spare wire is for a pressure gauge if fitted, just part of the standard loom from the factory, usually it's tied up with a tie-wrap

use your oil temp gauge as a guide until you get this fixed

ah ok, so they are all temperature senders..? and I can literally just swap them around until it works..? surely this will affect something else no?

sorry for being a spaz and not knowing bugger all about engines, far more complicated tham my old 1.3 mk1 golf i tell you..!

max

ok, upon further testing, the needle won't move whatever I do... so shall I assume bad wiring? to be fair it has been intermittently working since buying the car, and has given unreliable readings the whole time... I think the sensors are definately working, because when I unplugged the isv one, the engine rev's dropped... so here is my next question, how do I go about fixing this..?!

Cheers

Max

firstly you need to check the continuity in the wiring from the sender to the dash, if this is OK then the gauge is probably the problem, particularly if none of the other dash functions are affected. I'm pretty sure the gauges can be swapped out and are probably the same in most of the Corrado dashes and passat ones, ideally you want to borrow another dash and swap the connections over to it to test.

My bet is on the wire though, they get brittle with age under the bonnet and the wire is probably broken inside somewhere near the sender.

the other senders on the side of the head are temp ones for the ECU and warm up regulator circuits IIRC

Yes, sounds like dodgy wiring, the first easy and cheap thing i'd do before ripping the cable out of the car is to re-terminate the cable ends....get some nice fresh connections onto the sensors

Strange little development, when I put differnt wires onto different sensors, they seem to have different effects on the temp gauge! It doesn't move whatever, but on one of them, once the engine is up to temperature, it will cause the temp gauge to flash constantly. So I put it on another, and now it comes on constantly but only if I have all my electrics on, plus it goes off again when I'm driving, then comes on after a while of standstill...

The alternator tests out fine as well...

Wierd ass car...

Hi

If you have a multimeter, take off one connector at a time and measure the resistance of the sensor.

If they are identical sensors as people are saying, then the resistance should be the same on all of them. Right ?

earth the yellow/red wire and see if the gauge goes right up

yeah tried all that!

need to see if I can get hold of a multi meter I guess, should probably learn to sort out this stuff myself because its all I ever seem to do with my VW's... Thought they were supposed to be reliable!

my mechanic guy has an auto electrician buddy, so he's going hook me up with him, and hopefully will be the end of stupid little bits and she'll be 100%... :)

max