Sign in to follow this  
jslootweg

16v Radiator

GSF only lists one part for a new radiator for a Corrado. I was thinking of maybe getting a new radiator and putting new coolant in my car before the summer weather. Are all corrado rads the same or does the VR6 one listed in GSF different to a 2.0 16v one.

Cheers

GSF do a radiator for the 2.0 16v - I bought one from there last weekend! GSF part number is 17333 and price is £39.50. Its used on a number of VW 16v's including the Golf and the Scirocco 16v.. its the same radiator for a 1.8 16v also.

Had to buy GSF as mine was leaking pretty badly and VAG parts dept were already closed for the day. If you get a Valeo one then great - if you get a Flusser one like I did, well, the quality isn't brilliant (thread was stripping itself when we tried to delicately screw in the old thermostat switch) and everything didn't quite fit - but it cools as well as the VAG one did and it was considerably cheaper!

I think the radiator on a VR is a totally different story. Given the different dimensions, the outlets will be in different places so sure the hoses won't line up, etc..? Plus the VR has a different twin fan assembly.. again you aint gonna bring that over without a lot of headaches.

Besides, the radiator on the 2.0 16v does the job pretty well? A new rad and a fresh change of G12+ should see it keeping the system adequately cool. Even in the warm weather we've had lately, i've not managed to get my rad fan to come at anything more than the lowest "casual" speed setting! The temp barely goes over the mid point on the coolant temp gauge.

this is a little complicated, the GSF rad I have has the right dimensions for the corrado 16v (1.8 or 2L) but is not strictly the correct rad. It's actually one intended for a 1.6 carburettor mk2 golf and doesn't have as many cross tubes as the proper VAG 16v one, which is around 120 quid. In practice the GSF ones are OK, but are not as efficient as the genuine part and would struggle in hot climates, I have noticed that the cooling system temp sits a bit higher in traffic too, on the move it's fine though.

If you wanted a bigger rad, there is a wider one for the 16v that was intended for cars with air-con, this requires new top and bottom rad hoses from VAG to match. You can also run twin fans on these.

GSF do a radiator for the 2.0 16v - I bought one from there last weekend! GSF part number is 17333 and price is £39.50. Its used on a number of VW 16v's including the Golf and the Scirocco 16v.. its the same radiator for a 1.8 16v also.

Had to buy GSF as mine was leaking pretty badly and VAG parts dept were already closed for the day. If you get a Valeo one then great - if you get a Flusser one like I did, well, the quality isn't brilliant (thread was stripping itself when we tried to delicately screw in the old thermostat switch) and everything didn't quite fit - but it cools as well as the VAG one did and it was considerably cheaper!

That's interesting.. I was looking at a rad on fleabay.. one of the Aluminium cored jobbies

See the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-ALUMINIUM-RAD ... dZViewItem

As an idea it's less likely to degrade I would have thought. What's people thoughts on this?

...That's interesting.. I was looking at a rad on fleabay.. one of the Aluminium cored jobbies

See the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-ALUMINIUM-RAD ... dZViewItem

As an idea it's less likely to degrade I would have thought. What's people thoughts on this?

given that the standard VAG ones are excellent at cooling and last well over 150K (given the correct coolant/mix) I'd say go VAG if you plan on keeping the car for any length of time, I'm pretty sure the VAG ones are alloy anyway, they're certainly more strongly built than the GSF ones.

Well I definately don't plan to stick with the GSF one - thinking a VAG rad, with some nice samco pipes are in order but its ticking over for now and keeping the car cool so will do for now!

not knocking the GSF ones for the price Jim, mine has been fine on a modified engine for a couple of years now, even on the rolling road, it's just they don't have the efficiency of the proper 16v specific VAG ones in extreme conditions, they do feel very light compared to the proper VAG ones though.

Are the fins on the VAG one as sharp as they are on the GSF ones? Both Eric and I sliced our fingers to schitt fitting it the other weekend! It was like every fin was a little razor blade.. :|