Sign in to follow this  
awigman

accelerator cable

I noticed last night that my accelerator cable has become creaky. The car also idles at about 1100 rpm unless i pull the accelerator pedal towards me sligtly. Is it on the way out or might it just need tightening?

Might be the grommet has popped out that goes thru the bulkhead but if it's original then just get a new cable, less than £20 and good for another 10 years...

i think it might be the original. i know it has come loose when i was on the m5 before but the RAC just fixed it instead of replacing it. Is it an easy job?

Yeah - its fairly easy to do. Better this time of year when its a bit warmer out.. did it in the winter once and the combination of fiddly clips, rubbery bits in the engine bay was finger torture. As Tim says, a 20 minute job tops. Assuming the throttle cable is the same as it is on the G60, order the little rubber bung for the hole that the throttle pedal end hooks into - that gets well crusty too, but only costs pence so worth changing at the same time!

If you go to Spirit VW in Leam try and get a discount of the older chap on the parts counter - he knocks off 10% for me now every time! :)