Sign in to follow this  
grey-vr6-dan

ABS Parts

Hi there, my ABS light comes on occasionally and totally at random. I decided to look into the bits I might need to fix it. So far Ive come up with the ECU, ABS Unit (looks like a master cylinder to me??) and the control + regulator unit. I know my sensors are all good. I vag-com'd it and got an error to do with valves. Which component are they in? I realize they aren't in the ecu lol but could the ecu be giving false codes? When the light is off, my abs and edl works perfectly. :?

It will work fine when the light is off...

What exactly did you get on Vagcom?

Have you checked your ABS ECU for corrosion - usually happens if a windscreen has been badly fitted or water gets into the fan housing...

You mean the multiplug? Ive had that off and sprayed contact cleaner and re-seated it. Makes no difference. Some times it will stay off and another day it will come on when im cruising along a dual carrageway without even touching the pedal. When lights on the abs doesnt work. When light is off it works perfectly.

Right Ive just been under the bonnet and on Etka. The thing I was on about looking like a master cylender apears to be the abs unit on a early corrado. Mine has a normal master cylender connected to a seperate ABS ecu and valve block. The part number for the abs unit in my car is 358 614 217. I looked this up on ETKA and it has a dropped part:

etka2.jpg

I decided to check this against the parts listing under the corrado and found this one for my car:

etka1.jpg

As you can see the part number is slightly different to what I have in my car. Now I don't know what one I should be looking for?

As for the ecu, the one in my car is 1H0 907 379 C, which on Etka is now dropped to 1H0 907 379 E which makes perfect sence to the listing for my car.

If you use the enter part number link - stick the original in there and if it supercedes to the new one you can use either...

The fault your having (light coming on at speed) sounds like a dirty or distorted wheel rotor but you would expect to get a wheel sensor related fault...

Did you clear the faults and re-scan after the light came back? What about the pedal position sensor? Tedb has just changed his becuase of a fault code...

The partnumber on my abs unit I stuck in as I showed in the pic above and droped part number came up. However the dropped number is different to the one that comes up if I browse for the parts manualy. Thats why I'm confused there....

As for faults:

abs.jpg

And thats when I get get connected to the ecu with my laptop. It keeps droping out and saying 'attempting to re-establish connection' but I tried it on my mates g60 which works fine and it does that on there too.

As I say, most mornings when I get in to go to work I turn the key and the lamp flikers then goes out. I drive off with no problems and the abs works fine if I slam the brakes on. Then randomly on odd days the lamp will just come on when i'm going along, either slow or fast, and then the abs doesnt work until i turn it off, take the key out and re-start it again.

I was getting those valve errors a lot. I gave it a really good pressure bleed through with lots of new DOT 4 fluid (2l)and it has definately helped.... but then what came out was so dirty you couldn't see through it....

maybe worth a try if your fluid is old or of unknown history

pb

Nah I put new fluid in when I did my rear beam bushes. Oh well its not a priority job, ill just keep an eye out for the bits as and when. But I'm still confused about the part number issue.... Can anyone check what partnumber theirs is for me? :)