Sign in to follow this  
andy_vw

9A Engine problem...

Hi All,

I have a problem with my '93 valver (9A engine)

I had a problem when I started the car when it was "just warm" - not hot or cold. The car would start, then after around 30 seconds - 1minute of driving, it would loose power & shudder when I put my foot down more. The problem would go away when I the car got up to temperature...

I have had the bonnet open & played with the throttle & it sounded like there was a banging at times, when it was shuddering, coming from the air box/ the fuel thing that sits onto of the air box (unsure of its name!)

On friday I drove through so flood water & now the car starts, lumpy & dies after around 15 seconds, as though it is being either starved of fuel or air...?

Could anyone help? Possible causes?

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy!

Sounds like the metering head has ingested some water :( This also happened to me when I owned it. The way I sorted it (with lots of advice from people), was by resetting the throttle cable so it idled higher, preventing stalling. Then pulling one of the sensors out from the side of the metering head- think it was the side next to the wing. I drove the car for an hour (it was really horrible to drive) and the heat from the engine dried everything out. Plugged sensor back in and it was absolutely fine.

I would also spray loads of WD40 around the metering head to disperse any water.

HTH! Keep us posted.

Just tried that... Wasnt sure which sensor I need to disconnect?

I disconnected a sensor (wing side of the metering head), held it at a high idle & it still keeps cutting out :(

Have you adjusted the throttle cable to keep the revs higher? Had to do this to stop it from stalling.

Sorry mate- didn't read properly. So it still cut out even when you had it at high idle? I would get some sort of fan heater in there and just leave it on for an hour or so.

Had someone come out & look it at last night - no joy - Checked the plugs & leads (again), metering head, checked there was no water in the fuel, checked alot of the sensors for water etc

I have her booked into blake services tomorrow - just need to figure out how to get her there - the AA wont come out in my area... :( Nightmare!

If you trawl about the web there are some K-jet and KE-jet diagnosic guides, have you narrowed it down to fuel and not ignition then? If it's temperature related then it's likely to be sensors for the ECU, lambda, temp etc.

A fair few checks need to be made including fuel pressures and delivery via the metering unit, vacuum hoses, sensors ans switches fault code reading etc.

The 9A should run in 'average settings' if you pull the plugs on the metering unit, sort of 'get you home mode' if it'spurely dodgy senders that are causing the problem, does the air plate move smoothly with slight even resitance and no 'sticky' spots?

Do you have the little gauze filter in the fuel supply union on the metering head?

Just got back from towing it to blake - see what they come up with.

Cheers.

b interesting to know, we need a list of 9A problems and fixes, they seem to be elusive sometimes.

Got a phone call earlier - they said it was coming up with over 10 error codes! But they think the Dizzy has gone. New one on the way tomorrow... We'll see...

Yeh, I spoke to Tom earlier (my car's in on Wed night), and he said my old car was in and they thought it was the dizzy. Hope it gets sorted.

Not looking good...

they have so far changed the dizzy, hall sensor, swapped the metering head & nothing has helped... :(

It's quite baffling. Saw it today (she looks superb!) when I picked up my VR (thankfully fixed). Tom said it had got him a bit stumped. I told him how I managed to fix the water ingestion when I had it- dunno whether he'll try that tomorrow. Really hope you get this sorted.

Running problem solved - Faulty ECU & temp sender replaced...

However, the head gasket has gone :(

I need to decide what to do - Spend the money or break her. Bad day :(

Don't know whether I can afford to get everything done - needs a new exhaust as well...

Running problem solved - Faulty ECU & temp sender replaced...

However, the head gasket has gone :(

I need to decide what to do - Spend the money or break her. Bad day :(

Don't know whether I can afford to get everything done - needs a new exhaust as well...

was that just the temp sender for the ECU, or the whole ECU up the creek too?

don't break it! gotta be worth having a go at the HG yourself, all you need is a gasket and bolts and to borrow a torque wrench off someone. The only vaguely tricky bit is putting the cam timing back right if you've never done it before, but it's all just nuts and bolts really :)

is there anyone you know nearby who could help guide you to do the job?

The whole ECU was up the creek.

I've asked Blake services (the garage it is at) to take off the head & look at it properly (not quite given up), if its just the head gasket & nothing else I will get it done...

How easy would it be to get hold of another 9A engine?

She is currently on 151K...

I have been looking for a 9a engine that i could rebuild and get really nice to put in my car and I have found it quite hard. They always seem to get snapped up for quite a lot of cash from someone wanting to put it in a golf. So if you ever get another 9a engine and want to sell me yours cheap let me know! I don't mind if it needs a rebuild as long as its not completely shagged!

The whole ECU was up the creek.

I've asked Blake services (the garage it is at) to take off the head & look at it properly (not quite given up), if its just the head gasket & nothing else I will get it done...

How easy would it be to get hold of another 9A engine?

She is currently on 151K...

not easy to come by, as said they get swiped for mk2 golfs mainly

best bet is to search for an audi 80 auto MOT failure with the 6A 2L 16v engine, basically identical, just need your manifolds and sump/oilpump bolted to it, the autos have a fairly easy life.

Shes being re-built now (new head gasket)... Should get her back tomorrow...

metal or fibre gasket?, the VAG metal ones are supposed to be the best, think they've gone up a bit now but I got one for 17 quid trade price from VAG a couple of years ago.

I think they used VAG ones...

Got the car back last night - Everything seems ok.

When they were taking the head off / cam belt off they noticed the inlet cam (KR cam), was a tooth out so it had never run properly since that was done! (since I've had it!) Hell of a difference with it on the right tooth!!! Runs alot smoother & picks up a lot better.

Praises for Tom at Blake services :)

The KR Cam was fitted before I bought it - I did always think that it never ran quite right... Now I know why!

Didnt run like a complete dog... Wasn't that bad. I've lived with it for 8 months!