Sign in to follow this  
Bojmobile

Burst Hose - Needs Identified - Can anyone help?

Hi guys - been away working in England for last 3mths hence my absence from the forum and I've not been able to use my car much - back home now and back to work tomorrow - so just went out to check my coolant, oil and tyre pressures and that the car was running ok - heard a hissing sound (seems near the airbox) from inside the engine bay and discovered a hose that appears to have either melted or deposited so black oil - I'm totally useless mechanically - can anyone help identify what it is for me and what course of action to take.

Cheers

Pics below

I can't really see very well, but it kinda looks like something has melted on the exhaust manifold? I am blind though, so maybe wait for someone else to comment :)

Yeah - that's what I thought it looked like - just wondering - what the hose is - seems to be coming from the airbox.

Bojmobile

I think someone has replaced the original pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) flametrap/valve with just a bit of rubber tube.

This is not as serious as it sounds, so I believe from other comments on this forum, but it is not how the car came from the factory.

See my pic for the funny gubbins that should be in place that I have just this minute snapped in my own engine bay.

Hot oily fumes in the rubber tube used in your system have probably eaten their way through the rubber and are now dribbling out (either that or someone at your work has gobbed radioactive pitch onto the manifold---- Only kidding! :shock: :lol: )

I believe (from this forum) that VAG will only sell you the whole piping flametrap item in a one-er for nearly £100.

However, I also believe that if you go to a Ford garage and ask for the bit(s) you need (or perhaps the whole thing) they will sell them seperately or possibly the whole thing will not cost as much.

(PS Our most carefree son would probably say, "just get another bit of rubber tube like the bit that has rotted through, and chill out, ffs!". Personally, I cannot recommend that to you, a professional scientist. :)

Best of luck

and regards

Iain

Boj, looks like you got the early set-up on your car- mine was the same. I've since replaced it with the later flametrap etc (parts from Ford). I've still got the old hose which is in good nick. Drop me PM if you want it gratis :) .

Ah, that's interesting, Cazza.

So an earlier version just had the simple tube instead of the fancy component the 1995s have?

Some definately had that set up from the factory- I'm assuming it was mainly older cars though. I've had two K reg VR6s, one of each setup. The hose that goes from the head to the carbon canister (Boj's has melted) is defo a factory item and doesn't have the kind of 'T-piece' that connects to the top of the PCV breather valve.