Sign in to follow this  
Thom

MPG, Corrado 16v

Hi,

out of interest, what sort of mpg are you valver owners finding you're getting?, I'm half convinced my cars using more fuel than it should be!...say 27mpg on an A road cruise?

I guess my 1.8 16v averages around the low 30s combined. It's pretty thirsty around the city but not too bad on a run. I've always considered the fuel economy to be the weak point of the car considering the low performance.

I'm half convinced my cars using more fuel than it should be!...say 27mpg on an A road cruise?

:lol: think every corrado driver does! been coverd tons of times on here but you should be getting, on average, around 30ish mpg.....don't go buy what your MAF says as it'll probably be wrong....mine usually reads a max of 28 but when i calculated it last it was nearer on 34.

At the of the day it's a corrado....

Yeah the valvers aren't brill on the economy front considering they're pretty poor in the speed department. Some folk say the 2.0 are less economical than the 1.8.

There's a thread somewhere discussing this very issue where lots of folk posted their economy figures. I get 190 miles from £30 with pure town driving and thats driving pretty sensible with just the occasional blast. My C is a 1.8 with 127k and FSH if thats any help.

I would make sure your service parts such as oil/filter change, air filter, plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm and fuel filter are new or recently changed as any of these if in poor condition could have an adverse affect on fuel economy. And all the bits are cheap, apart from the leads. A dizzy cap and arm will be under £10, plugs, again £10-£12, air filter £7 approx. Not sure on fuel filters but they are under £20.

My 1.9L 8V corrado is getting 45-55mpg but then again its using diesel :D

lol, yeh I guess if anyone was really bothered then they should be driving a diesel too, or something other than a Corrado! Cheers guys, was just to put my mind at ease really, I think I'm getting just under 30 on average, but a good service will hopefully improve things, Ta :D

Recently changed the ECU coolant temperature probe and it has improved MPG noticably so worth doing all you 2.0 16v owners!

I seem to be getting up to about 28MPG on a steady trip to work and back along B roads and general traffic (with a few stops at roundabouts, etc) and into the low 30's on an A road mooch.

I've just returned 220 miles to £30 of regular Tesco unleaded, all town driving. Pretty good considering i get 190 miles from Tesco's Super unleaded which i always use. Just filled up this morn with £30 Super to compare with the regular unleaded to see if it was the service i have just had which has made the difference to economy, or just that you get more for your money with regular motion lotion.

my 2.0 16v must be doing quite well then.....or lying to me :D

if i get lower than 34 on any motorway journey its a surprise

got this a couple of weeks ago not a big trip.....10-12miles speed 60/85 ish :lol:

My old valver used to fluctuate a lot too.

In general terms, a 16v driven frugally should return a decent economy to the driver due to the design of the cylinder head. The sixteen valves allow twice as much air to flow into the combuistion chambers as it's 8v brother, encouraging a much cleaner burn cycle and producing air to fuel ratios consistently closer to the stoichiometric ideal.

The 16v head is also cross flow so it won't absorb heat from the exhaust manifold once it reaches normal operating temperature. In my experience, although the inlet manfold wraps across the top of the rover cover, the air gap inbetween is enough to keep a large percentage of the heat inside the rocker cover from 'soaking' into the intake.

Cheers,

Jon.

My old valver used to fluctuate a lot too.

In general terms, a 16v driven frugally should return a decent economy to the driver due to the design of the cylinder head. The sixteen valves allow twice as much air to flow into the combuistion chambers as it's 8v brother, encouraging a much cleaner burn cycle and producing air to fuel ratios consistently closer to the stoichiometric ideal.

The 16v head is also cross flow so it won't absorb heat from the exhaust manifold once it reaches normal operating temperature. In my experience, although the inlet manfold wraps across the top of the rover cover, the air gap inbetween is enough to keep a large percentage of the heat inside the rocker cover from 'soaking' into the intake.

Cheers,

Jon.

yeah, but...

the torque curve is pretty shyte for low end pull and this always results in rubbish town driving economy, a steady 60-70mph will return pretty decent mpg, over 40 is possible quite easily, but open them up and all that extra valve area means they drink fuel pretty quick at the top end too!

yeah it's a true story. the 16v does really come into it's own on cam and hasn't much go up until that.

makes me wonder why manufacturer's have spat out a number of low capacity (1.0 to 1.4l) 16v engines? I guess people who pootle around town don't care about power bands?

Agree with the MFA statements though, I got mine to read 70mpg by doing the oxford ring road at 50mph....hmm.

I've found that my speed/style of driving can vary the mpg by a factor of 4 or more! My old G60 managed 50mpg on a 60 mile run from Oxford to Southampton, on regular 95 RON fuel - but I did have to cruise at 55mph all the way (including roundabouts/corners/junctions/etc! :shock: ) The guy I sold it to got even better economy than that...

Likewise I have had as little as 10-12 mpg from a serious (and short term) blast :D

My daily commute is currently 12 miles, 6 on motorway and 6 semi-urban - I reliably get 32mpg according to the G60's MFA. I now have more power leeched from the engine by a smaller supercharger pulley, and a G-Werks chip that I suspect has not been designed for frugality :wink: but sensible driving still gets me economies in the 30s without having to treat the accelerator like it's made of eggshell!

I guess the 8V has more pull at lower revs (and the G60 especially), so I don't have to rev the engine high to pull off or climb through the gears... I've driven a Golf 16V but not a Corrado, so I can't make an ideal comparison - hope it helps though :wink:

The guy I sold it to got even better economy than that...

That would be me :lol: Managed 53mpg on a 20 mile trip... and yes, I did drive like a granny- purely out of curiosity, you understand ;)

Just used the £30 Tesco Super and returned 190 miles. So safe to say the full service i had did bugger all for fuel economy :(

^^^ how many litres/gallons does £30 of Tesco super get you and how were you driving / what kinds of roads?

I didn't check how many litres i got from £30 Super, but it was priced at 98.9p so prob got around 31 litres. My driving is best described as steady, not Miss Daisy but not like someone constantly late for work either. I don't razz the car much though purely because the car isn't what you would call fast and it just doesn't seem worth doing it. The roads were all inner city heavily urban types and my journey to work is a 16 mile round trip 4 times per week.

Hope this helps Monkey :)