Sign in to follow this  
reubenwilliams

Cooling ECU

hey guys,

Just one last plea for help with my Rad fan prob... I know my thermostat is ok and the temp sensor is working fine, and on longer drives when the slow VAG unit opens the temps are water 90 and oil 95 which I'm ok with,

But still no fans. :( Does anyone know anything about the fan speen controller, not the thermoswitch or thermostat but the other unit? Or anything about the fuses and where they are lcoated, I think someone said one was with the fans speed controller?

Cheers

I'm not sure about the valvers, but on the VRs - the box of relays kind of floating in the engine bay around the side of the engine/battery area are the relays (and possibly fuses) for the fan controller.

The fans come on at different speeds - I think the VRs have a 2 speed controller, but not sure about the other models.

The fans kick in at 98 then go mental at 104 on the water temp gauge IIRC, so it's already pretty toasty before they do anything. They're also supposed to stay on for a few seconds after you park up too.

If the fans aren't coming on at all then it could be simply because the engine isn't hot enough, but I'd do a search for "+fan +speed" or similar to see what you can find.

The fan controller uses one of the 3 coloured temp sensors (blue, yellow and black) in the coolant system and the most common fault generally seems to be that. They're about £5 from VAG so not too expensive, but can't remember which one it is off the top of my head. It's definitely not the blue one and I have a feeling it's the black one, but please do check with the search cos I could well be wrong!

Long time since looked at this - not because we fixed it though -D'oh.

Found the cause of the problem - fan ground not connected to battery! that was a £400 bill from overheating in traffic! and Inditech mechanics didnt spot it. Called them to complain- ' yeah we knew it didnt have a ground but couldnt find where the fault was' Have a clue - circuits need to be just that, a circuit. not a line!!! grrh. After popping up the bonnet and working to the same conc as them we traced the wire and ended up with it loose in our hand! luckily we took it out after they'd replaced the bits it needed so didnt loose much money on a useless investigation...

Was browsing another post and saw the bit about the fan speed controller fuse, Mine appears to just have a 30 Amp fuse which is broken but appears to still be touching so will change tonight...

Also it's now leaking from block water out flange - so new one tonight and lots of G12 coolant to make it happy. new bottled water every night just isn't the same i'm sure...