Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

cast or forged pistons?

ok guys,

Im "assembling" a motor as one of the VWVortex users calls it.

2.0L ABA block with a p&P G60 head with 41mm/34mm valves.

o-ringed block,

shot peened STOCK FORGED rods

and pistons,

I was going to use the standard ABA pistons in the block with a lower compression headgasket, standard compression ratio is 9.6:1, I would lower it to 8.6:1

but for some reason or another all the vortex users tell me to get forged pistons and after countless requests by vortex users I decided to cross the pond and ask the UK/EU users whom in the past have told me to keep my pistons cast (oil purposes).

I dont like consuming oil, a good reason why I dont want forged pistons (people say they can be fitted correctly and not leak oil, but Ive seen too many leak)

someone give me a good reason why/why not to get pistons (aside from money being an issue, cause after everything else I had to buy I am running VERY low)

The reasons for forged pistons are:-

Lower reciprocating mass = more revs

Looser in the bores, so less friction = more torque

Zero internal defects (no casting air holes, cracks etc) = stronger and therefore can handle more power.

Balanced to within half a gramme across a set.

Faster to expand, so engine seals tight faster from cold

And so on.

You just need to decided which of these properties are important to you.

Cast pistons are perfectly fine, they're tighter in the bores and don't use total seal rings, so are easier on the block and use less oil. They're only weaknesses are the aforementioned potential manufacturing defects, weight, weight differences across a set of pistons and limited power handling.

You have to remember that in America - no offense - most tuners mainly only care about how fast they're going and not what's coming out of the exhaust. So it's all about horsepower and you get the most with forged pistons. If you have sensible set goals in mind, casts should be fine.

yeah now I have to get pistons because no company has piston rings for a decent price, its worth it just to get the new pistons.

I care about what comes out the other end, I dont want to be driving around with oil burning all the time.

hell I almost converted my corrado to an electric car! (didnt have the funds)

I only want 250 @ wheels (probably will change once I get there)

stupid pistons ... =(

I was under the impression that the UK was a much nicer place to live than the US but if that isnt the case then I will have to move to amsterdam

I just realized you are shoved into a place 1/2 the square mileage of the state I live in....

maybe that would be a little cramped...

around 60 ish million citizens over here.

Its just our naff government that screw it all up for us

I was under the impression that the UK was a much nicer place to live than the US but if that isnt the case then I will have to move to amsterdam

Hot dutch babes, "flavoursome" cakes and pot by the bucket load, can't go wrong with Amsterdam :lol:

You'll have to leave your Corrado behind and get a push bike though, LOL!

250@wheels.... I don't know how strong G60 pistons are but that's quite a lot I suspect. Forgees might not be such a bad idea. If it's any consolation, I use Wossner forged pistons and they are really nice. Moly coated skirts and pretty tight tolerances for a forged, about 3 thou clearance, compared to JE's 5 thou clearance!

needless to say the Wossies are quiet from cold and don't smoke, but they're not cheap :-(

I was about to ask if they were cheap.

Im working on getting some brazilian racing pistons right now.

while we're talking about hot babes - hope your brazilian pistons come with...ahem ;)

Hot dutch babes, "flavoursome" cakes and pot by the bucket load, can't go wrong with Amsterdam :lol:

You'll have to leave your Corrado behind and get a push bike though, LOL!

250@wheels.... I don't know how strong G60 pistons are but that's quite a lot I suspect. Forgees might not be such a bad idea. If it's any consolation, I use Wossner forged pistons and they are really nice. Moly coated skirts and pretty tight tolerances for a forged, about 3 thou clearance, compared to JE's 5 thou clearance!

needless to say the Wossies are quiet from cold and don't smoke, but they're not cheap :-(

:offtopic1:

ahh the Dam......

I think i'm due a re-visit.

..sorry you can have your thread back now :oops:

It's your decision dude.... we don't want to be responsible for an engine you'll hate :lol:

If you get the right forged pistons, you can't go wrong, but get some that are too cheap and too sloppy in the bores, you'll regret it.

The old saying "you get what you pay for" is especially true in the case of pistons....

well I am going to get them oversized so they fit perfectly.

I guess I will just get them, since 20 psi is a lot for a little 4 banger