mike240z

g60 elctrical troubles

ok so heres the story i have a 1990 g60. i recently went to have to catalytic converter replaced as it sounded like it was going bad. the guy who replaced it also removed and bypassed the resonator. the car ran great(although its really loud) for about a week when i started to see a change in the fuel mileage. the car was running extremely rich. i brought it back to the same shop where they simply removed the intake hose and sprayed some intake cleaner. this seemed to fix the problem for a little while. next the idle seemd to go a little crazy. the car would surge and buck and once i pressed the clutch in the car would drop down to idle but surge to about 15-1700 rpms before dropping down then the car would drive normally until it started over again. now recently it has been blowing fuel pump relays every couple of weeks. if anyone has any advice i would greatly appreciate it as the mechanics in the surrounding area have hardly heard of a corrado let alone worked on one. thanks, mike

Sounds like they possibly damaged the wiring to the lambda probe?

And what exactly did they spray into the intake? Anything with a hint of silicone will damage the lambda probe too.

Neil.

i don't think what they sprayed in the intake damaged anything it was car quest auto brand intake cleaner. where exactly is the lambda located and if you could what is its function in the car. it seems more and more like the car is just losing fuel pressure because the pump is cutting off. i have already gone through 3 fuel pump relays also

The lambda probe (a.k.a O2 sensor) sits in the exhaust gases after the downpipe (and before the cat - where fitted!). You may be able to see a 4-way wiring plug down the rear laft side of the engine bay (looking in from the front), has red, 2 x brown and purple wires on the upper connector.

The probe measures the amount of oxygen left in the exhaust and sends a voltage between 0 and 1V to the ECU, which uses it to adjust the fuelling, so that the engine does not run lean and overheat. This sensor is ignored by the ECU for the first few minutes after cold start, to allow it to clean itself, warm up etc.

If the probe is dead, or the wiring is bad, the ECU will go into 'limp home mode' where it deliberately over-fuels because it can't detect how rich/lean the mixture is. This causes lumpy idle, poor economy/major fuel bills and grey/black smoke from the exhaust regardless of how hard you drive it... The wiring from the probe to connector and on to the ECU is relatively exposed (esp. to exhaust heat) so is a fine contender for cracking and other forms of dodgy electrical connection. Would be worth checking out - don't have all the details here so do a search for 'lambda probe test' or similar - lots posted elsewhere on here.

Good luck! :wink: