Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Pulley removal...sorted...Now, intermediate shaft removal

Just in the process of stripping the 9a engine down and can't get the power steering/alternator pulleys off. Three of the 6mm hex bolts are tighter than a tight thing. I've tried soaking them in WD40. The engine is out of the car and currently sat on the floor of my garage with the flywheel still attached, and even if I use a long srewdriver to try and brace the flywheel, they still wont budge. Can anyone suggest how to get the buggers off?

Take 1 hammer and apply liberally to the head of the bolt, you might need to use an allen key socket to knock back into the hole as it can deform slightly.

If that doesn't work, hit it again. :)

Had the same problem on mine with the.....urmmmmm.....bugger...my brains gone.....the one on the bottom of the engine anyway!

Spent a whole day trying to get it off, whacked it with a mallet, levered it with a screwdriver and everything. Soaked it in some 3in1 releasing fluid overnight tried the following day and it came straight of with 2 hits with a hammer!

So, hit it wit ha large hammering type implement first, then take hte allen key socket, put it back on the bolt and try again? I'm assuming the liberal use of the hammered dislodges the rust that stops the bugger from coming out??

Leverage is your friend 8) Spanner or bar over the ratchet handle should help a lot.

As for holding the pully still...Use another ratchet or allen key in one of the other of the 3 bolts and wedge it up against something if you can (easier with engine in car actually)

Neil.

Ok, so managed to get the 4 hex bolts out, but the bolt holding the alternator pulley is as tight as a nun's chuff, how the hell do I get that bugger out?

A good thick screwdriver just sat in the fan,it will bend as you crack the nut loose...But the fin can be bent back easy peasy :)

Neil.

Ah, I might have confused the issue there. I mean the pulley attached to the crank that runs the alternator belt... sorry...

Thats just thoese 4 that holds it on Stu - see Tim's post above, we smacked the hell out of it and could not free it, left it over night in PlusGas and it just dropped...

DON'T remove the crank bolt!!!

Thats just thoese 4 that holds it on Stu - see Tim's post above, we smacked the hell out of it and could not free it, left it over night in PlusGas and it just dropped...

Ah right, lol. Will be smacking the pulley witha hammer tomorrow me thinks.

What would happen if I did remove the crank bolt by the way??

Next Question:

How do I remove the intermediate shaft?

Ah right, lol. Will be smacking the pulley witha hammer tomorrow me thinks.

What would happen if I did remove the crank bolt by the way??

Next Question:

How do I remove the intermediate shaft?

Crank pulley bolt, er nothing the crank pulley would come off along with the water pump/PAS pump pulley that is still stuck to it.

The intermediate shaft pulley, easiest way is to stuff a screwdriver through one of the holes in it and brace it against the block. Then whip the two bolts out behind it, lever the cover plate off and stick the pulley back on to give you something to get hold and then just pull.

Crank pulley bolt, er nothing the crank pulley would come off along with the water pump/PAS pump pulley that is still stuck to it.

So to clarify, the central bolt (19mm) holds the crank pulley, but not the alternator pulley?

You can buy 3036 (or any other VW tool) from a VW dealer, don't let them say no, they can get them for you for the next day and they aren

So to clarify, the central bolt (19mm) holds the crank pulley, but not the alternator pulley?

correct the central bolt is only for the crank pulley.

To remove the inner pulley. take a block of wood, place against the pulley and hit with a hammer. Eventually it'll pop off.

To remove the inner pulley. take a block of wood, place against the pulley and hit with a hammer. Eventually it'll pop off.

Exactly what I did :wink: