Sign in to follow this  
gogsboy

Corrado VR6 expansion tank

Wonder if anyone could help, I had a halfords cap blow to bits and obviously it left quite a few broken bits of plastic and springs in the tank, tried to get all out and thought had done but now tank is empty again after last run noticed few more bits still in there, so now removed them.

While removing them also got hold of some other black plastic bit which wasnt in bits and judging by the staining on it, it had been there for a while...

When you look into one of these tanks is there meant to be a hole at the bottom with nothing in it or is it meant to have some sort of valve in the bottom

i'd just buy a whole new unit from VAG. they arent overly expensive. and would be a lot cheaper than buying a new engine because its overheated....

Have run it since this, not for too far and temp guage has never gone through roof or nothing, its got a leak but it doesnt seem to leak all time so hard to pin point where from, so is it housing or head gasket.

Just want to check if there should be a part at the bottom of these tanks.

ETOS doesn't list any separate parts for it...

New tank part number - 021 121 407 - £27.96 inc VAT

Oh and really don't bother with the Halfords caps.

Cap part number - 1H0 121 321 C - £6.85 inc VAT

Also I don't know what you mean by 'a hole at the bottom'?

According to the diagram the only hole is the outlet for the coolant into the rest of the system......

I needed a cap when first got car as last owner had butchered black VW one whilst removing it by looks of it.

VW never had any, so got a Halfords one but didnt realise they were that mince until it blew to bits and then found out on here.

Now have the VW blue cap but still got a temperemental leak which obviously isnt the caps fault.

Well trying to explain which hole I mean, if you took cap off and looked into tank...an empty tank that is, there is a hole in the centre but there was a piece of plastic that appeaed to have came out this hole, now whether it was just another bit of the blitzed cap that had mamaged to stay intact and happens to be of similar size to belong to this hole or whether it belong there and is part of the tank, I have no idea, thought someoe might know since plenty cooling issues with Corrados ;)

That small hole is a 90 degree take off that the bottom hose clamps to, or thats the only hole there should be in the bottom........

dont mean to steal the thread..... quick header tank question, I am toooo tight to pay the near 300 stroave motorsport want for thier polished tank and i have not seen any other ones?? The question is, how would you remove the plug socket (top left of header tank) from the standard header tank and how does it determine if you have enough water in there or not? I am looking to incorporate the standard plug into a polished tank....

cheers

That small hole is a 90 degree take off that the bottom hose clamps to, or thats the only hole there should be in the bottom........

Cool, I was just worried I had removed part that was meant to be in that hole and opened and closed by whatever means...

Guess it must just be part of the cap that got blown up

Cool, I was just worried I had removed part that was meant to be in that hole and opened and closed by whatever means...

Guess it must just be part of the cap that got blown up

I would have thought so fella, there should be no loose bits inside at all! I have one (in the boot of my car atm lol) so if you want a pic just ask :)

dont mean to steal the thread..... quick header tank question, I am toooo tight to pay the near 300 stroave motorsport want for thier polished tank and i have not seen any other ones?? The question is, how would you remove the plug socket (top left of header tank) from the standard header tank and how does it determine if you have enough water in there or not? I am looking to incorporate the standard plug into a polished tank....

cheers

Answered my own question here, there are 2 long probes thatt come off the plug and bend 90 degrees and go into the tank itself. I will butcher these :lol: