Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

So how much power is too much power!?

AND if you're a true petrol head, wheelspin is LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of fun Kev :)

I've got a wheelspin ON/OFF button in the Alfa ;)

How many Rotrex Corrado's have we got on the forum Dave do you know?

Mr Fusion (haven't heard from in a while), Hersites(just about to happen!) and PeteC. Can't think of any more. Saw PeteC's at ED38, sounded very refined, charger hardly makes any noise at idle, no belt tension issues (uses the standard VW tensioner) think it's making 310hp with 10psi.

another Rotrex'd Rado on the way here too in the next month! :D

I reckon they're the way to go.

Afterall that's what they use on Alfa conversions :)

(and that other foreign up-start company with that lame old CCR thing)

yep i thought if that supercar with the unpronouncable name uses a couple of them :shock: it would do for me! :D

I reckon they're the way to go.

Afterall that's what they use on Alfa conversions :)

(and that other foreign up-start company with that lame old CCR thing)

Well I know it's not really about fuel economy, but I had a gentle run out to E38 the other week and a bit of to and from work. End mileage 381 pretty much a full tank. Thats about 30+mpg...... I find that nothing short of fantastic! Or maybe I don't drive it hard enough?

I have a Rotrex fitted to my Golf and If I am honest it does have too much power to be driveable, but at present I don't have an LSD fitted. I also only get 150 miles from a full tank of Optimax and that is driving normally 90% of the time. Someone will have to take me for a ride in their T/C VR so I can compare the drivabilty.

Borrowed from the VR6OC:

Car:

Golf mk3 Highline 2931cc 12v VR6 engine (OBD2), car 124,000 miles, engine 6,500 miles

Mods:

83mm JE forged pistons, standard compression.

Scat Forged connection rods.

Rotrex C30-84 with 70mm pulley.

Stainless steel decompression plate 8.7:1.

Doherty Racing 268 Cams.

Aquamist 1S 50/50 Methanol/Water 0.7 jet.

Dubpower 6-branch stainless exhaust manifold and full system with CAT bypass.

520cc injectors.

PWR charge cooler.

Pace pre-rad and brushless pump.

10.8mm silicone HT leads.

Emerald ECU mapped by Storm developments.

Balanced crank.

Lightened and balanced Flywheel.

SPEC 3+ cerametallic clutch.

Forge dump valve with 30PSI spring.

3 bar Weber MAP sensor.

Dyno'd at Storm last month.

Figures: Running 20PSI+

Power: 277.9BHP @ 3941RPM @ the wheels

Power: 370.5BHP @ 3941RPM @ the flywheel

Max Torque: 370lb-ft @ 3941RPM

Max figures exceeded the rolling roads capability!

Thanks, Im really pleased with the map and the way the car runs. Its taken 9 months or so to get it all together, but it performs better than I had hoped. Andy and Miles have been soo helpful offering advice and the things they can do takes some believing!

I have a Rotrex fitted to my Golf and If I am honest it does have too much power to be driveable, but at present I don't have an LSD fitted. I also only get 150 miles from a full tank of Optimax and that is driving normally 90% of the time. Someone will have to take me for a ride in their T/C VR so I can compare the drivabilty.

Did Storm setup your Emerald to fire the injectors sequentially and also to use Wideband closed loop control?

Batch fired 520cc injectors + a charger that's making boost all the time = Not great mpg.

Turbos are more efficient because they are off boost most of the time. As Dave says, 30mpg is not uncommon for a VRT. From what I've learned about the rotrex, some installs make 0.5 bar boost at idle, so they need extra fuel all the time.

The Emerald was initially set up by Dave at Emerald using a base map from a VRT. I am not running a wideband set up only standard narrow band. Andy used a map from another car of a similar spec and modified it to run safely. Poor MPG comes with having all those ponies and is something I came to terms with many years ago! I only see boost when I need to and certainly not at idle thankfully.

Mine's currently around 350hp and certainly gives a lot more than 150 miles to a tank! Mind you, have you got a 12 gallon or 15 gallon tank? Either way, that's 12.5 or 10mpg!

Blimey this thread has moved on with most of the info going straight over my head :wink: :lol:

I wish I could make my mind up what to do! TBH as a daily driver I couldnt really afford to only get 20mpg or less. Really do love my motor but am struggling so much with it gettin old now and having to replace bits all the time. Must be gettin old myself as I just feel like an easy life with a newer car :D Feck knows think I will have to toss a coin :?