Sign in to follow this  
Quiz

I Need Help With Engine VIN

Im in the process of tearing down my 92 vr6. As i get further and further down in the motor it looks like it has alot higher mileage on the motor than the odometer actually reflects. The head was in overall great shape however the block is not looking so good. My head bolts were completely jacked up cause some of them were barely even tight. The car should only have 122,000 miles. The block looks more like 200,000. I believe someone did some head work and replaced the chain. There is a 9 digit number on the block but it doesnt seem to match any of the other numbers on my car. Is this supposed to be part of the vin or is there another number im just not finding?

I believe the vin goes WVWZZZ00ZZZ000000

Obviously i have changed the letters to Z and the numbers to 0, but that's how it goes. If in doubt, HPI it. If you google HPI discount you should get a code that allows you to get it for 15 quid.

There should also be a sticker in the boot that says the vin? Or maybe I'm too pissed and imagining things.

I imagine you are talking about the owners manual. I didnt recieve one with the car when i bought it. I know what the vin is and where it is on the car. The number on the block is what the problem is. If that number is the only number on the block then do i have to cross reference it through the dealer or is it supposed to match part of the vin? Oh and my engine code is AAA. I dont know if that helps.

the log book (v5c) if your are from the uk is the bit of paper you filled in with your name and address when you bought the car, it was then posted back to you to say you own the car

the vin number will not match the engine number

do a google on vw vin numbers there are lots of sites that will decode you vin number and some you show the engine number listed to you car

I know what my engine is i just want to know where it came from. I believe that something has been swapped in my car. Either the odomete or the motor, something is just not right. I paid 6,000 for a 15 year old car that "appeared" to be in mint condition. After multiple problems with the cooling system i said screw it and decided to rebuild it. Now im starting to see things that just dont add up and i want to know if im justified in going and whipping someones ass. I think i was had and im owed some money. I just need the proof. Oh and im sorry if i come across as rude i dont mean to be.