Sign in to follow this  
Rimshot

Smokey 1.8

Another problem, please bear with me.

My 1.8 seems to churn out blue smoke when the engine reaches a certain temperature, usually around the 80 degrees c mark. The fan's in good working order, but the same seems to happen when I floor it. It's using around a liter of oil every 800/1000 miles with heavy use of the right foot. Cruising, it's alot happier.

Would this be a piston ring problem? Inside the mill smells fine, and no milky residue popping up, the plugs haven't got the dreaded white/black residue on them but there is signs of arcing in the distributor cap.

Please, help. It's embarassing when I look in my mirror in a traffic jam and not being able to see the car behind for bloody smoke!

:?

Been using havoline lately, it has been a while since I drove the car so I can't quite remember what grade I was using, I do remember it being very cheap though. I know the oil is a bit crap for the car, I wouldn't have thought it would make it smoke so much though. :oops:

Do you think it's happening due to the less viscous type of oil i'm using?

No i've started it up from cold specifically to sit behind it until it gets up to the usual point and there was no smoke whatsoever. Would the stem seals be a costly fix?

Cheers for the tip. I'll hunt some down. Got to drive it from Cumbria to Hampshire soon so I can have it at work, i'll get the oil (the one you reccommended) &filter changed beforehand & see how it goes.