Sign in to follow this  
Paulr1980

FINISHED... new update.

As most of you know.. I'm currently ditching Kjet for bike carbs on my KR 16v Corrado.

I've removed the inlet manifold, metering unit, airbox etc... pretty much everything that needs to be gone has been removed. I've got a couple of adjustments to make to the manifold but that's all fine.

The problems I'm having are these:

There was a water pipe (I think) that ran to the upper inlet from the back of the engine bay.. Do I just trace it back and join to sections together to bypass this?

There was a fuel ermm thing, where two of the injector pipes ran to right next to the water inlet on the n/s of the engine. (no idea what it was) I disconnected and removed the injector pipes so now there are two open holes... What happens to these?

I unplugged about 4 or 5 plugs from the airbox/air flow meter/inlet. I'm assuming these are all ok to just leave unplugged and tidy up somewhere?

The oil pressure switch had take offs.. one to the inlet and one to the airbox.. What happens to these?

lastly (for the moment)

Which is fuel delivery and which pipe is fuel return on the two pipes that ran to the metering unit.. one has a blue shroud near the bulkhead and one is black

Whoever answers these questions I'll buy a good few pints for. If I get helped through this and the car runs I'll donate a decent sum of money to the site.

Hopefully there will be some techy KR dudes knocking around to give me a hand. alternatively, if any of you wilts/gloucs/mids boys are bored and fancy helping out.. there will free tea and biscuits at my place. :D

HELP!

black is feed, blue is return

You prob took 2 pipes off the wur, just remove the wur al together

you sure it wasnt the servo pipe rather than a water pipe?

Thanks for info about the fuel pipes..

Which is the WUR? I've never really bothered with the engine until now. That includes the WUR mod so never knew what it looked like.

The pipe at the back could be anything.. I assumed that it was a water pipe (I depressurised the system). It could be vacuum... in which case... what do I do with it.

I've got a brake servo outlet on my shiny manifold.. where do I take that from?

Sorry for all the questions.. Hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.

Hit another problem.. the water outlet from the head is to high so the carbs do actually sit on the manifold. I'm going to have to have a custom made water outlet made up in order to fit the carbs.

Shame Bogg brothers never mentioned that when selling me the manifold...

Still need help with any of the other questions so don't be shy, all help erm helps..

Ta

P

Hi Paul,

Wondered how this was going?

Can you post a few pics up, would be a lots easier to figure out which bits you're on about.

Think your pretty local to me anyway, give me a shout if you need a hand.

Dave

don't know if it's what you are after but BBM so an adapted pipe flange for the front of the head

phpKbRJct.full.jpg

That is the shit!!!!!!!!!!

Right'o' BB are about to get an order. Bogg have offered to knock me something up but it'll take em weeks to get round to it.

Dave, I've been pretty lucky actually, there's been a chap on club gti that has been helping enormously. I'm pretty sure I know what to do now. I've just got this problem to overcome and I'll get it done pretty quickly.

I'm getting build pics as I go so I'll do a guide when I've finished so people can see what to do. you never know, might help someone out.

It's turning out to be a pretty uncomprimising car now.. haha totally impracticle and will be heavy on fuel. Hey you only live once though...

It's turning out to be a pretty uncomprimising car now.. haha totally impracticle and will be heavy on fuel. Hey you only live once though...

Right on! Oh wait a minute, my VRT will still do 30+mpg!!!!! Perhaps it needs more boost :lol:

The only way I'd even try to compare our cars is on the smiles per pound ratio... Other than that, my car is the bottom of the pile in Corrado forum top trumps (now there's an idea!!)

The only way I'd even try to compare our cars is on the smiles per pound ratio... Other than that, my car is the bottom of the pile in Corrado forum top trumps (now there's an idea!!)

But it's a Corrado, doesn't matter about anything else! ENJOY!

30092007031.jpg

Well I've got to this point...

The problems I'm having are:

1) The WUR and water outlet are stuck with gay allen bolts holding them in. They seem bigger than a 5mm and smaller than a 5.5mm. As they are pretty seized, if I put any pressure on them I'll just round the bolts of... not good.

2) The ITG sausage filter/carbs fouls the bonnet really badly. As it's not a prissy show car I'm not too concerned. I'll just get a bodyshop (I blimmin hate angle grinders) and chop a hole in the bonnet so the filter just pokes up through the bonnet. :)

3) The oe rad fan is gone... way too big and the shroud cuts space down big time. A pacet fan is being ordered tomorrow.

Other than that the only problem I'm having is knowing where to fit the catch tank?? Any ideas??

Didn't manage to get an ABF water outlet as GSF didn't have one and Vdub parts were closed sat. Will order one tomorrow.

Popped to Forge Motorsport in glos to solve my top rade hose problem for when I swap to an ABF outlet. Got some Megaflex Samco hose so can bend and flex it to the shape I need. They also gave me a CNC'd blank to blank of the large tube off the oil pressure switch.

I'm definitely getting there but it's not without grief and I'm getting sick of the bloody bus! A good mate of mine has offered his carb'd 205 gti to drive while I get mine back on the road so I'll pick that up at some point.

Any help/ideas... is as always... welcome. :)

Thanks for the tip...

does anyone know whether the rad fan is a sucker or a blower.. I was going to order a blower but thought that I might be wrong????

Thanks for the tip...

does anyone know whether the rad fan is a sucker or a blower.. I was going to order a blower but thought that I might be wrong????

Depends which side of the radiator you want to fit it...

Use a hammer and a punch to hit the head of the allen bolt quite hard a few times, this should help to loosen it and the allen key will fit more snugly

I had the same issue of allen key bolts on the coolant flange on mine. I just hammered a 12mm socket over the top of it, and hey presto they came out. :D

It's a sucker! It's mounted behind the radiator and sucks air back through it as opposed to being mounted in front of the rad and blowing air through it!

I'm almost at the point where I can start (or attempt to) the car.

It's all plumbed in. The carbs now fit although parts of it were a complete ballache. Lots more fiddling around getting new coolant piping and many other little bits.

I've still got concerns. A dodgy HT lead, the fact the there are quite a few joins in the fuel pipe and not knowing how to set up my filter king all are a bit of a worry. I've decided to have someone on hand with a fire extinguisher when I kick it over.

On the plus side, I don't have to chop a bigass hole in my bonnet for the filter to fit and I also can relax about the carbs fouling everything under the sun.

The final things to do now are to fit the throttle cable and adjust its length to make sure I'll get full throttle and to fill with coolant. That's it... It'll just be a case of priming the pump and cranking it over.

Here's how it looks at the moment, similar to the above but it's what I took tonight.

At the moment for the first couple of month I'll be using the standard dizzy. Not ideal I know but I've spent enough for the moment.

As soon as I'm back on track with my bank account (couple of weeks) I'll pop to Omex (who are 5 minutes from where I work) and get them to sort me out with mapable ignition.

It'll be dyno'd at Mech Motorsport in Cheltenham and if I can afford it I'll combine Omex with the dyno'ing of the car.

Whatever it makes, it should sound pretty sweet and it's different and that's good enough for me. I'm not interested in chasing huge power. It's unlikely that I'd ever have the sklils to use it on the track.