Sign in to follow this  
davej

couple of questions

got my first corrado recently, it's a 2.0 16V. its in great nick and runs really well. just got a couple of questions regarding the engine, hopefully someone here will be able to help me out.

firstly, the idle is quite lumpy. the revs are rock steady on the rev counter, but it does shudder quite a bit, even when warmed up. Just wanted to know if this is a common thing, or whether i can/should get it sorted.

secondly, at 3000rpm and above i get quite a bit of vibration/resonance through the pedals/seat etc. it's not a shudder, just feels maybe a little rough. again, not sure if this is normal or whether some bearings or something need changing. its not like wheel shudder, more like a high frequency resonance. might just be that i'm not used to the power!!

i've come to corrados from a scirocco for several years, and there's obviously a lot more to consider engine wise etc!

cheers guys in advance.

no it dont sound normal

the lumpy idle could be a air leak around the inj or inlet ..has it had new service parts like leads n rotor arm etc?

i dont think its electrical, i had a similar problem with my last scirocco and think it was air related, manifold or something similar.

as far as the vibration goes, it seems to eminate from around me feet, so i'm thinking exhaust vibration resonating through the chassis?

Sounds exactly like a problem I had with a 16v, after replacing a few different things it turned out to be a driveshaft.

The car would be fairly smooth up to 3000 revs and after 4000ish.

as ive just had my post locked, i'd better bump this one. I'm still haveing problems with the vibration at about 3000-3500rpm. ive changed the front engine mount to no effect, and the heat shield by the driveshaft is secure. could it be something actually on the driveshaft or the shaft itself?

anyone?

Sounds exactly like a problem I had with a 16v, after replacing a few different things it turned out to be a driveshaft.

The car would be fairly smooth up to 3000 revs and after 4000ish.

^^^

Like I said, I had exactly the same problem as this and it completely dissapeared when I changed the driveshaft.

Might not be shaft related, but don't discount it.

I'd look at the engine tune first as it's easier and cheaper and driveshaft wear doesn't cause a rough idle ;-)

I find my VR6 runs rough at the same rpm as yours if it's running too rich and likewise, the richness causes a rough idle also. An incomplete burn can also be responsible for rough, or coarse running, so pull all 4 plugs and make sure they're a grey colour and uniform in colour across all 4, which is leaning towards an ignition fault if one or 2 plugs are lighter/darker than the othes. If they're pitch black, or white, that means it's too rich or too lean.

Sparkplugs paint the real picture of how your engine is running mate, so don't overlook the obvious :-)

If it's not tune related, it could be a gearbox mount as they cause coarseness too when worn out or done tightened up properly.

cool, did you replace both, and how much did it cost you in the end?

To be honest mate I don't quite remember how much it cost individualy as I had a fairly large bill for the replacement of parts that weren't required just trying to find out what was causing the bloody vibration! I ended up having a new exhaust,mounts etc, it got very annoying having bits changed for the problem to be just the same! The garage I use still take the micky out of me now because of how wound up I was getting about it :)

I only had one driveshaft changed and it stopped the problem straight away so I suppose we were just lucky in choosing the right one to change first? It was the drivers side one that was causing the problem on my car. We used a 2nd hand driveshaft that the garage I use had lying about luckily. It might be worth seeing if you can get a pair of 2nd hand ones from someone on here breaking a car.

Like Kev says, the drivshaft won't cause a rough idol though so you might have a different problem to me but it sounds uncannily like what happened to mine with regards to the vibration through the seat/pedals/steering wheel just between 3000 and 3500 revs

thats great, cheers man. the rough idle has been pretty much sorted now, its just the vibration. i'll set about getting a replacement driveshaft!!

thanks again.

No worries, obviously can't guarentee it'll sort it out but it does sound EXACTLY like the issue I had so hopefully it'll be the same for you.

It's worth noting that the rado I had this problem with had only covered just over 70k miles.

worth a go. i think it's got to be something driveshaft related to be honest. i'll let you know how it goes!

thanks again

The lumpy idle on my G60 was related to the ISV and the idle switch both being bad. Once I replaced those it was fine.

I also get a vibration, but it's more of a noise around 4000rpm. Pretty sure it's just my exhaust, though :lol:

got my first corrado recently, it's a 2.0 16V. its in great nick and runs really well. just got a couple of questions

secondly, at 3000rpm and above i get quite a bit of vibration/resonance through the pedals/seat etc. it's not a shudder, just feels maybe a little rough. again, not sure if this is normal or whether some bearings or something need changing. its not like wheel shudder, more like a high frequency resonance.

cheers guys in advance.

Hi

Check the rear engine mount

seems to have sorted it. went for a long trip at the weekend and no vibration on the motorway. huzzzah! :D