Sign in to follow this  
sparks

panel filter or cone filter ???

Hi guys

at the moment ive got a K & N panel filter in the box but i looked at a few pics of other peoples cars and most of them have cone filters on nice shiney left elbow pipe with a shield around it but whats the best to have ??? performance wise ive read they anit that much in it looks wise i say the cone looks the dogs!!

just wondering if there are any draw backs with a cone ????

cheers stu ...

Hello mate and welcome to the forum,

If you do a search then you'll find this topic has been covered a fair few times in some real detail, that should help you make your mind up.

General rule of thumb is cone filters obviously give you a much louder induction roar but unless you have a decent cool air feed/heat barrier then they can actually make less power then a high-flow panel filter.

It also makes a difference which engine your C has, as a cone filter for the 1.8 16v is only available from Stroeve and costs around £129 (does look the part though)

Let us know what engine you have and I'm sure somebody can recommend something.

i've jsut gone back to a paper panel filter, i didn't trust the filtering qualities of my k&n panel.

while fitting it with hot engine i couldn't believe how hot the airbox got, i'd never stick an open cone there :! would have to be sealed and ducted kit imo

Sorry sparks I just reaslised I welcomed you to the forum after you've made 9 posts...when I looked quick I swear it was a 1.

Just being friendly but I think I need a cup of coffee to wake up a bit, welcome anyway mate even if it is a bit late :)

Well if I was fortunate enough to wake up and find a supercharger had attached itself to my block, The first thing I'd do is hand SWG about £200 for one of their induction kits...but that's probably based mainly on how cool they look.

Realistically I have no real idea what I'm talking about when it comes to G60's

Save your cash and drill out your lower part of the airbox and keep the paper filter element,have this on my own G60 sounds awesome,did have a K+N panel filter was no different in power but as allready mentioned I didnt trust the filter and as my charger was freshly re-built by G.Werks I wanted it 100% protected,removing the carbon canister and routing in a cold air feed seems to be a poular choice although havent done this my self..

No wet at all just drill some good sized holes allong the inner wing and back side of the airbox works a treat have done both my Rado G60 and mk3 golf VR6 works great even get a bit more mpg out of the VR give it a go..