Sign in to follow this  
AdamjVR6

New induction kit fitted today

Well,would just like to say thanks for the hoards of old posts which helped me in routing my cold air feed by re situating the charcoal filter :)

Took a while to get the hose right in the bumper lip but got there in the end!

2003133943145817118_fs.jpg

2005382032696924688_rs.jpg

cheers

noticed something i cant quite believe with this type of kit.

with the cold air hose fixed to the filter it goes fine.

Take it off and leave it about 2" in front of the filter and it goes a lot better :lol:

WTF is that about,it literally pulls a lot better in first and second gear in this setup.

Air starvation with the hose connected???

Think you've got the wrong one for a Corrado VR6 mate? The BMC's i've seen on Corrado's normally look a bit chunkier than that! Unless i'm just imagining it?

Also - as corozin says.. i'd be a bit wary of having the air duct there.. you're going to get moisture spray from cars in front, any puddles could easily displace into there... i'd shorten the pipe up a bit and put it up behind the bumper!

I agree with the others about the moisture issues.

Also, I think the difference in performance you've noticed is due to the pipe being relatively small and going through several bends, at low speeds the engine will need to suck air up the pipe if it's connected. By leaving it with a gap, you will get the best of both worlds, at low speeds you'll suck in air from the engine bay, and at high speeds you will experience a ram effect as air is forced up the pipe.

yeah,thats why i think i'll stick with that,cold air pipe about 3 inches away from the filter opening.

Correct that its not for a corrado too,its generic,but i cant stomach paying £££'s just for a name,well,not for an air filter anyway :lol:

i'd shorten the pipe up a bit and put it up behind the bumper!

Kinda committed myself after i cut the hole ion the bumper :lol: :lol:

noticed something i cant quite believe with this type of kit.

with the cold air hose fixed to the filter it goes fine.

Take it off and leave it about 2" in front of the filter and it goes a lot better :lol:

WTF is that about,it literally pulls a lot better in first and second gear in this setup.

Air starvation with the hose connected???

Too much air being force fed into the intake , effectively making the motor tempoarily run leaner than it should (compared to std air box) it will always run better when it can pull its own cold air through at its own rate and not ram fed with a closed forced feed.

Cheers

Looks a nice neat Install.

I don't understand why its fitted if its not the right size one? i have a BMC fitted and its fills the whole left side of the bay ie its a LOT bigger. Even then I had a lot of problems getting the air feed positioned *just* right as was it was strangling slightly as full chat.

I guess this is the 225 bhp TSR engine then- even more reason not to fit a cheap filter that looks half the size of the proper part :?

perhaps,but then the filter inside is as big as the cone filter that as on the car before,just it had rusted out (green cotton) so though id better change it.

might take the front off the carbon intake and give the car more scope to draw in what it wants.

FWIW car has better throttle response since fitting this filter,used to bog down a little at WOT in low revs

you got it on the road now then mate ? im gona have to pop over and have a look one weekend 8)

yeah,i have mate,although its weird,somtimes it seems so much faster than others,weird.

Going on alan jefferies rolling road saturday anyway 8)

The difference in performance when the cold pipe is pulled off is down to induction tuning. You've effectively lengthened the inlet tract by how ever long the cold air pipe is, which affects the pulse tuning in the manifold.

"Ram air effect" is nonsense. All normally aspirated engines at sea level can never have a difference of more than 1 atmosphere between the air filter and throttle, or zero guage pressure, under WOT.

"Ram air effect" on a test rig has been shown to produce no more 0.5psi at 100mph.....which you won't even notice at those speeds.

The only way to get a true Ram effect is with mechanical induction pulse tuning......such as the Schrick manifold.

noted,its just a cold air feed to a cone now.

just to be safe.

be interesting to see my AFR graph from the rollers on saturday