Sign in to follow this  
KipVR

Will an Audi 3.2 TT (04) Engine fit...

.......in my Corrado, looks identical to an R32 engine bay, my main worry is that it has a DSG gearbox, and hence the ECU is perhaps different? Trouble is I've already paid for it and now I'm worried I've made a big mistake....

Its the same engine so it will fit. As for the ECU im not sure but your gonna need all the clocks etc to make it run unless you go for an aftermarket ECU.

I was going to get custom code to flash the ecu to delete the immobilizer circuit etc so I don't have to use the clocks and keys, I'm just not sure if the DSG gearbox means the motor ecu is different in some way. Ah well if it is then I'll just have to go for an aftermarket one, it's just more expense :( .....my C has cost me enough this year already, but then what year doesn't it......

my mate used the exact ecu on a non dsg car and it certainly threw a few error codes up. Didnt run too well unfortunately, but it may be recodable.

That's the perfect combination for me.

V6 3.2 and a DSG box, best of both worlds.

The DSG box will have it's own controller, a TCM. This needs info from other controllers in the vehicle, so could be quite a challenge. The TCM needs feedback from the engine ECU, ABS and steering sensors, cos it does all sorts of clever stuff, like when your braking hard and turning the wheel into a corner, it'll soften the downshifts of the DSG to prevent locking of the wheels. Very cool, but bl**dy complicated.

Standalone will only cover the engine side of things, not the DSG.

I'll see if I can find out a bit more from a few people I know.

Oh I meant to say I'm not actually using the DSG, just the Engine that came out of the TT with a DSG... and was wondering if the ECU was programmed differently for this combination.... Oh well I'll just have to wait and see, if the worst comes to it i'll have to just use a different one.

I think the DSG box ECU is actually on the gearbox itself with all the sensors etc running into the box - something not right about a gearbox with electronics inside it!!

Awesome bit of kit tho - saw one at Quaife a few weeks back and they're already developing parts for it!

The engine ECU and the TCM have a fair amount of 'chatter' going on between them (all on CAN bus). The engine throttle will need to be regulated when the DSG shifts gear etc. But I suspect it's just an option code in the ECU, the same a cruise control etc so it can be switch on and off as the different model cars are built. Being production cars I doubt its much more than that or it would be very difficult to build in any volume.

You could get the immobiliser coded out, as you already said, so maybe the DSG option could be switched off at the same time. Or they could flash the ECU with a standard, non DSG calibration.

Sure it can be done Kip, and with the standard management, so you'll get all the refinement that goes with it.

I love driving DSG equipped cars, they suit modern driving so well (crawling in traffic!). But when you do get out on the open road, they shift very fast, and you get 10% better fuel economy as a bonus :)

Oh no, I think I've found my next project!

Yeah I've heard lots of good reports on DSG, go on you do it first then I'll ask you how to do it once it's done :lol: .....always easier than being the first. I get my engine on Tuesday which is good I think I've planned everything and researched as much as I can to get it done, the only thing I need now is a 24V wiring diagram....Thanks for your advice though Dave, figured it would probably be as much as you've described.... 8)